Business class 2Gbps router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by Sonic guest » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:25 am
This post is regarding the 2Gbps business-class service I heard Dane talked about on No Agenda Episode 1067. http://adam.curry.com/html/NoAgendaEpis ... 3Vtwd.html

While I can't even get gigabit from Sonic I am curious about what kind of CPE is provided. Comcast's Gigabit Pro is similar where they provide a Juniper ACX2100 router with a 10Gb SFP+ connection. Curious how Sonic does it.

Thanks
by dane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am
Sonic is now offering our Fusion Fiber service to businesses, including SOHO, at 2Gbps/1Gbps, an upgrade from our standard residential offering which is 1Gbps/1Gbps. The service delivery is via a new four-port ONT, which offers four gigabit Ethernet ports, and up to 2Gbps of aggregate downstream capacity. This really ends up being two separate networks, with their own IP addresses, so while 2Gbps of aggregate capacity is available, it's 2x1Gbps links.

The primary application we see is small businesses setting up two different networks, one for their own business operations, and a separate one for their customers who are visiting. And we can help with that application, pairing each up with its own Eero mesh network, for example!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 pm
Is there pricing and availability on this (I was asking in another thread about dedicated access to a single fiber which I assume this is)? I assume I could just run these two networks as a multi-WAN setup from a pfSense box?
by dane » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:35 pm
Yep, just input your address at http://Sonic.com/availability and change the service type to small business and you’ll see the products and details.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:29 pm
Only $90!!! That's very nice. However, I couldn't find any terms of service for this product. Any pointers? Thanks.
by dane » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm
aanon4 wrote:Only $90!!! That's very nice. However, I couldn't find any terms of service for this product. Any pointers? Thanks.
It’s a small biz or SOHO service, similar to our home service but with two voice lines and 2x1Gbps Ethernet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm
dane wrote:It’s a small biz or SOHO service, similar to our home service but with two voice lines and 2x1Gbps Ethernet.
Okay ... but does this service come with specific uptime, bandwidth, latency, support and repair guarantees (and a contract) ... or is it just two 1G consumer lines? Thanks.
by dane » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:42 pm
No, this is a best effort, dynamic IP (no hosting) small business connection. It’s not suitable for use when an enterprise service is called for.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 pm
No hosting? :-(
by dane » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:47 pm
aanon4 wrote:No hosting? :-(
It’s a small business / SOHO product, with dynamic IPs. So, no, it’s not a hosting solution. (And it’s not priced that way either.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
13 posts Page 1 of 2