LAN Subports + Static IP

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by telemenar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:44 pm
I just ordered service with sonic and I'm really excited about Sonic vs my other options at this point.

I was trying to figure out how I wanted to set things up with the equipment. I'm pretty sure I don't want to really use the router part of the Pace 4111N, given that I already have a running set of linked Apple routers setup the way I want them. I'd love to have a static IP though.

So my options seem to be:

Bridge Mode - Frowned upon as it disables the diagnosability of the connection.

DMZPlus - Would still result in a double NAT unless I disable NAT on the Apple Routers.

Broadband IPs on LAN - This doesn't sound like it is really intended to be used to give another router an IP...

LAN Subports - Sounds like my favorite option. But it isn't clear to me how this would work if I only get 1 static IP. Is it possible to have the modem get a DHCP IP, and give my router behind the LAN Subport the static IP?

So really I think I'd end up wanting to run with Bridge Mode or LAN Subports, but I'm not certain how this would interact with only having a single Static IP.
by dane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm
I'd recommend setting up the static IP in the Pace equipment, and turning on DMZPlus and pointing that toward your router. This means double NAT, but I doubt that will result in any issues.

LAN Subports would be a more pure way to do this, but as noted, it requires more than one static IP. If you upgrade to four static IPs, LAN Subports would be a good choice.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by telemenar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm
That is what I was afraid of...

I understand the reasoning for having your own debuggable equipment, and for the average user providing a router. I would love to support keeping your router engaged and debuggable.

However, I really really don't need another router in my life though. I actively use two in a special configuration and own a third and a wifi->ethernet bridge as well. So I need another router with unproved (to me) network performance like I need a hole in my head.

I'd also love to have a static IP, and the fact that you offer one IP for free is exciting to me, part of the reason I went with your service. Avoiding using a dynamic dns provider to rig everything together would be wonderful. I really only need the one for the router at this point though.

I suppose that with DMZPlus, I could kinda combine all of these. The DMZ "should" effectively prevent most types of double NAT issues, but I'm still kinda worried about it. If all I wanted to put on the inside of the router was an externally facing server the DMZ mode would be fantastic but doesn't sound quite right for a router.

But if I have to choose between DMZPlus mode, Dynamic IPs, more IPs for $10/month, or running the Pace in bridge mode. I'm probably going to choose bridge mode. I would be happy to set things up so that the Pace got a DHCP IP so it could be online for debugging, and then give my router a static IP with LAN Subports. If that is not in the cards I think I will probably go with bridge mode.
by dane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:08 pm
Yup, that would be fine, try DMZPlus, and I'd that doesn't work our, bridge it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1