Sonic mesh offering

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by newcolour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:23 pm
I am a very happy Sonic customer.
I am a very unhappy Sonic user.
The problem is not on Sonic's side. Rather, it's due to my home having very thick walls. I get outstanding wireless speed within a few meters from the router, but terrible speed anywhere else, and especially in the back of the house. In the past few weeks I have read that a mesh offering is coming soon, which would effectively solve the problem. However, having had two kids just a few days ago (twin boys!), I need really very soon good coverage throughout the house for my wireless baby monitors to work. So the question is: When is the mesh system coming out of the beta and entering the regular offering? I have asked this question to the support team, but the answer I got was that the mesh beta is closed, and got no idea of the timeline.

It would be great to know if I will need to go on Amazon tomorrow and get me an Eero or if I can just wait a few days and rent it from Sonic.

Thanks a lot!
Simone
by timyu94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:01 pm
newcolour wrote:I am a very happy Sonic customer.
I am a very unhappy Sonic user.
The problem is not on Sonic's side. Rather, it's due to my home having very thick walls. I get outstanding wireless speed within a few meters from the router, but terrible speed anywhere else, and especially in the back of the house. In the past few weeks I have read that a mesh offering is coming soon, which would effectively solve the problem. However, having had two kids just a few days ago (twin boys!), I need really very soon good coverage throughout the house for my wireless baby monitors to work. So the question is: When is the mesh system coming out of the beta and entering the regular offering? I have asked this question to the support team, but the answer I got was that the mesh beta is closed, and got no idea of the timeline.

It would be great to know if I will need to go on Amazon tomorrow and get me an Eero or if I can just wait a few days and rent it from Sonic.

Thanks a lot!
Simone
If your walls are thick and blocks wireless signals then mesh wouldn't really help you as nodes connect to existing signals and then rebroadcasts it / broadcast their own. if the existing signals suck then mesh won't help too much.

Do you have any coax or ethernet in the walls? Hardwired Wireless Access Points (WAPs) such as TP-Link EAPs and Ubiquiti AC Lite / LR / Pro / Nano HD would be the most reliable and dependable in terms of speeds. If there's coax then you can use them for ethernet via DECA or MOCA adapters which you can then use to plug in WAP's. Likewise if you got ethernetin the wall (cat5+) that's home ran into a closet then you can reuse them for WAPs and wired access.
by steelgaze » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 pm
Mesh was recently offered to me at something like 200 dollar install and a few bucks per month equipment rental. To do mesh property, each AP needs to be hardwired and not rebroadcasting off wireless. While possible to do a rebroadcast without hard lines to a central switch, you will have degraded wifi service.

If your home is already not prewired with ethernet, yout next cheapest option is to look for powerline network extenders. Otherwise you have to 1. punch holes and run ethernet throughout your home to get the best network performance. 2. Live with subpar performance on a mesh network that piggybacks off each other and continue to have spotty connections.
by newcolour » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:10 am
Thank you for your replies. I do have eth sockets everywhere in the house. However, when the technician came for the installation, we were not able to find the central unit to connect to. I just moved in and my landlord recently remodeled, and so he thinks he may have covered it when he finished the garage. The technician tried to see if there was any signal in the house, and there was none. So I guess that my best bet is to run a wire, in the least invasive possible way, to the back and maybe connect another AP.

Thanks!
S.
4 posts Page 1 of 1