FTTN X1 to X2 - some simple questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by Sonic Veteran » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:14 pm
I'm a decade+ Sonic customer who's gone from dialup to DSL to FTTN X1.

I need more bandwidth, but it's unlikely that Sonic will be stringing fiber to my neighborhood, so FTTN X2 is the only option. Both Sonic's and AT&T's availability tool indicate 75mbps is available to my address.

(I did see some new comm being pulled on the poles in the older subdivision adjacent to mine last year, but no new offerings from AT&T if it indeed was them.)

If/when I proceed with FTTN X2:

1- will the current 5031NV RG have to be replaced?

2- what potential does the internal wiring have to cause issues? (it's 50 years old and I've always been leery of it)

3- "75mbps" is the current marketing term, but what it is real life up/down speed range that can be expected? Up is becoming a big factor now with the proliferation of consumer IoT/security products.

4- I understand the tech has the discretion to opt not to use the second pair if within that range, but wouldn't that be leaving bits on the table?

My current RG stats are as follows:
User Rate 25311 kbs 2036 kbs
Max User Rate 58725 kbs 2036 kbs
Noise Margin 23.1 dB 0.0 dB
Attenuation 15.4 dB 0.0 dB
Output Power 13.7 dBm -13.5 dBm
Protocol G.993.2_8d
Channel Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country {65461} Vendor {CXSY} Specific {852 }
Rate Cap 57685 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz 7.2 dB
Required Impulse Noise Protection 0
VCXO Frequency Offset -12.1 ppm Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise 0 Ok

Just trying to check all the boxes before I commit for another year.

TIA
by timyu94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 pm
Sonic Veteran wrote:
If/when I proceed with FTTN X2:

1- will the current 5031NV RG have to be replaced?

2- what potential does the internal wiring have to cause issues? (it's 50 years old and I've always been leery of it)

3- "75mbps" is the current marketing term, but what it is real life up/down speed range that can be expected? Up is becoming a big factor now with the proliferation of consumer IoT/security products.

4- I understand the tech has the discretion to opt not to use the second pair if within that range, but wouldn't that be leaving bits on the table?

TIA
1) Yes. A bonding RG will be used which is mostly the ARRIS BGW210-700 these days or a Pace 5268AC.

2) Depends but it's always better to have a cat5/5e/6/6a cable to the NID just to eliminate that chance.

3) Sonics resold variant is the old ATT 75/8 tier. ATT does not offer the 100/20, 75/20, 50 / 10 etc tiers (new) to resellers like sonic, yet.

4) ATT does pair bonding on 75 tier to achieve the 90M line 17 MHz profile unlike the 45 and below tiers which can be achieved via single line or pair bonding using 8 MHz profiles.
2 posts Page 1 of 1