I guess it's time to leave sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
48 posts Page 4 of 5
by dane » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am
dennish wrote:When did you walk the street? The pole in front of my home has been reinforced with steel some time ago.
I visited about six months ago. There were at least two poles on the block which were in need of repair or replacement. One in particular that stood out visibly was this one: https://goo.gl/maps/FmTWXvcSSBBG6LFx6

I don't know if there have been repairs or replacements there, we'd give that another look when we do another project in the area to bring more widespread fiber. At that time, any poles which are in an unsafe state can lead to a gap in deployment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dennish » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 pm
I just went out and looked at the pole. Yep, really bad. Not sure it is doing much of anything. The pole is at the end of the block. Could you not come from the other end of the block?
by dane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:49 pm
No, we have to build contiguous network.

And I recall that was just one of at least two overloaded / unsafe poles. That’s why we had to take the network underground for that segment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dennish » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Dane, of the two poles you mentioned, the really bad one has been replaced and the other has been reinforced. Can we get fiber now from Sonic?
by dane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 am
dennish wrote:Dane, of the two poles you mentioned, the really bad one has been replaced and the other has been reinforced. Can we get fiber now from Sonic?
We've got our first big Santa Rosa project completing now, so I will ask the team to include your street on our infill plans for a subsequent expansion project here.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dennish » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:14 am
Thank you.
by george.belle » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:11 pm
I hate to say I've had to leave Sonic as well after being a customer for more than 10 years.
My x2 fusion service speed dropped over the last few months by 25%, and I was having some stability issues, in spite of AT&T and Sonic techs working to resolve it. I just couldn't justify the $95/month (including the modem rental fee) I was paying for ~70mb speed, especially with some instability issues.
When Sonic is able to provide fiber service to my location in SF (on a street with buried utilities), I'll immediately be back.
by dennish » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:07 pm
Dane, where does sonic stand now with getting me some fast internet? It has been a couple of years I have been waiting. I don't want ATT. One pole was replaced and the other repaired. Happy New Year.
by dane » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:17 pm
I'll check our project engineering GIS tomorrow. We do have a big expansion project in Santa Rosa, perhaps it covers your area. We'll see!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:31 am
dennish wrote:Dane, where does sonic stand now with getting me some fast internet? It has been a couple of years I have been waiting. I don't want ATT. One pole was replaced and the other repaired. Happy New Year.
Okie, good news: your location is part of the expanded "Zeus D" project which brings more coverage in Santa Rosa. The current forecast "on-air" date is 9/25/2023, but these dates are always changing due to various project delays. Materials, weather, permits, labor availability, etc. So please take it the estimate with a big grain of salt.

I should also note that the reach or scope of the project is also subject to change, which can happen due to items such as those bad poles you'd noted as now having being repaired. There could be others that could affect our ability to build. Nothing is certain until we actually get it built and completed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
48 posts Page 4 of 5