I guess it's time to leave sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
48 posts Page 3 of 5
by dennish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm
I was wondering why they reinforced the pole with a metal wedge driven into the ground.
by dane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 pm
dennish wrote:I was wondering why they reinforced the pole with a metal wedge driven into the ground.
Was that completed recently? In our records, both poles are slated for replacement.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dennish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:21 pm
6-8 weeks ago, roughly.
by dane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 pm
dennish wrote:6-8 weeks ago, roughly.
Both of the poles across the street from you? Or elsewhere on the street? The two nearest you are tagged "replacement pending", whereas there's another status for reinforcement, which is the metal stubbing at the base.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by wwwdrich » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm
To get back to the original post topic, as much as it would be nice to have more speed from Sonic, we really don't have all that many options. In my neighborhood, you have three choices:
  1. Sonic - Ok speed, good pricing, amazing support
  2. AT&T - 1.5 Mb/s (yes, that's all they can give me over the same copper Sonic gives me nearly 6Mb/s), really expensive, support is something they have heard of an aren't sure what it is, FTTN coming someday... maybe... unless they don't
  3. Comcast - 1 Gb (on paper) or 250 Mb/s more realistically, pricing 2x Sonic, support that makes AT&T look good, regular service outages, very restrictive Ts&Cs
So *please* Sonic decide to expand your fibre efforts into the outskirts of San Jose where I am. At some point I will probably have to just give up and go with Comcast to get decent bandwidth, but in the meantime I think I'm going to stick with Sonic in the hopes that I will someday see speeds that aren't slower than the worldwide average and half of the average speed in the US (https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-co ... ountry.php).
by akber » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm
I concur, I would really like to see SONIC Fibre services in San Jose. Where I live I get AT&T FTTN which is good but not as nice as Gb Fibre.

I had met one of the Amazing SONIC people at Maker Faire last month and she said that you're expanding into the Peninsula this year. This is great but what are your plans to move further South?

Thanks!
by psychicb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:32 am
Yeah, much as I love the idea of supporting a less greedy company than Comcast or AT&T... Comcast charges $70 for their gigabit internet speeds, and AT&T charges $50 for their 75Mbps plan, whereas Sonic charges me $90 for 49Mbps(on a good day)? Unless I hear that Sonic is going to bring their gigabit speeds to my area this year(and I’d be willing to give Sonic a week for that announcement or even that they can provide me with over 70Mbps at no additional charge)... I’m feeling ready to leave Sonic as well. :(

I didn’t expect to want to jump ship after a year, but I also didn’t expect Sonic to take so long to expand to the south bay... :-/
You can trust me, I'm The Doctor's companion's spouse's friend's sister's dealer of all the alien technology that we find left behind - BTW, bow ties are COOL :ugeek:
by dennish » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 pm
Dane, it's been a year since I commented about not having fiber at my home. The backbone fiber for sonic runs under my property. (Not sure why they were allowed to do that without my permission). Is there any progress in getting fiber to my street and to my home?
by dane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:51 pm
dennish wrote:Dane, it's been a year since I commented about not having fiber at my home. The backbone fiber for sonic runs under my property. (Not sure why they were allowed to do that without my permission). Is there any progress in getting fiber to my street and to my home?
I visited and walked your block some months ago, because I was curious about the situation there. We were building to reach at least one school in the area, but the wood utility poles were overloaded, so we were forced to go underground there. That makes it much harder to reach the homes, in the near or long term, because our conduit and cable are deep underground. But if and when we do build residential service in the region overall, and if those poles have been reinforced or replaced by then, we'd be able to build a second path, overhead.

All public utilities share a common public utilities easement, so gas, sewer etc can all cross your property in that space, FYI. Oh, and those poles stand in that space too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dennish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:54 pm
When did you walk the street? The pole in front of my home has been reinforced with steel some time ago.
48 posts Page 3 of 5