Dane, AT&T put fiber in the Berkeley Hills

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 2 of 3
by cmeisel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm
why not tell that to customers ? I, for example, have been trying to find out what the permit is because I have a neighbor who can certainly look into this and potentially try to push a little.
I am very aware that these delays are out of Sonic's control but to tell customers something is not. Just email them all yourself and explain what you explain here. Most of my pre-order neighbors never received any explanation just another 2 month tagged on. An email from the CEO to explain this and communicate how frustrating this is for sonic as well, would go a long way.
by dane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm
cmeisel wrote:why not tell that to customers ? I, for example, have been trying to find out what the permit is because I have a neighbor who can certainly look into this and potentially try to push a little.
I am very aware that these delays are out of Sonic's control but to tell customers something is not. Just email them all yourself and explain what you explain here. Most of my pre-order neighbors never received any explanation just another 2 month tagged on. An email from the CEO to explain this and communicate how frustrating this is for sonic as well, would go a long way.
Because blaming any agency for the time it takes to get a permit, and particularly pointing consumers toward them to complain about it, is simply not good business. In the end, we've gotta take responsibility, and we can't really explain the specifics or we are blaming an outside entity.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by igorru » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 pm
cmeisel wrote:why not tell that to customers ? I, for example, have been trying to find out what the permit is because I have a neighbor who can certainly look into this and potentially try to push a little.
I could be mistaken, but I think this is the permit in question:
https://permits.cityofberkeley.info/Com ... nspection=
by cmeisel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am
I had seen the website before but based on that all sonic permit applications are issued and the times don't seem to add up. Maybe there is another set of permit's. Our neigborhood seems to have taken action without me anyways. They mobilized Susan Wengraf, complaining that Berkeley was giving AT&T advantages by being too slow with Sonic's permit. She announced she would look into this and get back to the group.
by igorru » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm
In the Processing Status section for that permit, I think this is the relevant info:

Consolidated Comments
Due on 05/01/2018, assigned to TBD
Marked as Ready to Issue on 05/01/2018 by Colleen Andreetta
Comment: Moratorium paving required

Resubmittal-Revision
Due on 08/13/2018, assigned to TBD
Marked as TBD on 03/12/2018 by TBD

Dane referred to Moratorium paving in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5175&p=39318&hilit ... ium#p39318
by simonhmorris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm
(Pre-Order #658140 from Dec'17)
Dane - its understandable you don't know exactly when things will happen, and amazing customer service that you even read these and respond. Its also reasonable to not publicly attack the bureaucracy. But there are surely things you DO know - for example it is now one week before the end of September and it is surely 'known' to you, us, everyone that the service will NOT be switched on by the end of next week. So why do you continue to say that it will be? Surely better to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around?
by Larns576 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 am
Under promising also isnt a great idea - business wise. Let's say they expect the work to complete in 6mo or less. Should they say it will complete a 12 months instead? That will only encourage users to jump to other providers and be locked into 1 or 2 year contracts, and Sonic will just be sitting there with no customers if they do finish on time. They are providing the best ETA they can based on the info they currently have.

I have to admit, they are kinda slow to update the availability tool though. Perhaps it should be looked at mid month instead of 2 days prior to the deadline.

My fiber is supposed to complete in Sept 2018 (S.F.), but I already know it will be delayed. I've only preordered since March so I havent waited as long as you guys, but delays aren't the end of the world. I will just continue with Comcast until Sonic is done. If necessary, Sonic will pay off ETFs (with limitations) if you are still under contract when your fiber does go live so that's another option.

Sonic is trying to it's best to build as quickly as possible while figuring out all the regulations as this is new for them too.
by cmeisel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:16 am
I do wish we would not do the same again but it looks like we will. 5 days left in september so I assume in 3 day we will get an email telling is it will be November. I was really hoping for a longer mail and telling people the one thing you can say, fiber is coming but at this point we don't know when. it might be october, it might be december and it might even be 2019.
by dane » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:27 am
cmeisel wrote:I do wish we would not do the same again but it looks like we will. 5 days left in september so I assume in 3 day we will get an email telling is it will be November. I was really hoping for a longer mail and telling people the one thing you can say, fiber is coming but at this point we don't know when. it might be october, it might be december and it might even be 2019.
Unfortunately, you know as much as we do at this stage.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:23 pm
I do understand that you don't know more but you guys should just say so. Instead today I and all pre-orders got the same mail that we got in July already. It is really unfortunate that these get send because there is no fiber near us yet and I doubt it will be ready by Sunday. The same happened in July 2018 and 3 days later came a sorry, 2 month delay. Can't you at least stop these woohoo! mails ? It just looks so bad.
thanks

=====

Order #644417
YOU'RE CLOSE TO BEING CONNECTED!
Our engineering team is working to complete your area's Gigabit Fiber network construction this month (woohoo!). Once completed, we'll contact you with next steps, which includes scheduling your installation.

If you have any questions, contact us at support@sonic.net or text 707-800-4624.
26 posts Page 2 of 3