Dane, AT&T put fiber in the Berkeley Hills

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by cmeisel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:47 pm
Dane,
I know Sonic is coming but AT&T has in record time put fiber into the North Berkeley Hills. It was out in front of my house this morning and they also already installed on queens Rd. Is sonic going to lease that or still running their own ? Just curious since you said you have some deals with them I thought this might be interesting for you guys to know.
You can see my address from the pre-order if interested.
Order #644417

thanks
by cmeisel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm
They continued today many trucks and expending into 3 more roads. So is there a chance sonic will use that fiber? I don’t want att I want sonic
by cmeisel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 pm
And they gave us this

Your neighborhood will soon be getting ultra-fast Internet speeds on a 100% fiber network!

AT&T Fiber is our new cutting edge network featuring Internet 1000 and our fastest upload and download speeds, so you can stream, download and browse with less waiting and buffering!

We’ll notify you when AT&T Fiber is available at your address. In the meantime, shop for other AT&T services and offers.

——-
Ok so now neighbors ask me why not att since sonic installers told some it would be November or even December.
I posted what I do believe
Sonic great company, net neutrality, cheaper, cares about customers vs evil empire att.
But people are impressed to see 5 trucks install fiber in record time.
I feel I can keep neighbors on sonic but we will need dates that are real. The current September doesn’t sound real again.
by dane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am
It’s a real race out there. We’re pushing as fast as we can to get past the various challenges, and clearly hope to beat our competitors to market.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 pm
I thought you said that in some areas you had great success leasing from them. maybe this is such an area since they really seem to put lines in fast. it is easy if you are a giant with unlimited worked. they came with 5+ trucks, people to re-direct traffic, etc.
by dane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:15 pm
cmeisel wrote:I thought you said that in some areas you had great success leasing from them. maybe this is such an area since they really seem to put lines in fast. it is easy if you are a giant with unlimited worked. they came with 5+ trucks, people to re-direct traffic, etc.
We’ve got about 25 trucks in Berkeley every day now. And it’d make little sense to put customers on their network, with a one year commitment for every connection and at twice the cost of being on our own fiber.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Ah did not know those were their conditions. Based on some of us pushing net neutrality, phone, fax, vpn all part of sonic and not being a big company who’s core business is not just internet but everything that makes more money right now, I am confident people will stick with sonic Pre-orders. I would recommend to tell people now it September looks bad again not do it in the end of the month. I am sure with 2 weeks left you guys have a basic idea of sep is still realistic or not.
by cmeisel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm
The biggest disappointment really is communication. As I said, I got many neighbors to sign up for sonic (most of the time it is not flyers that do the job but “influencers” and yes I am aware this sounds pretentious) and I posted and posted telling people delays are expected and that sonic is worth the wait. AT&T installs fiber and I and two other continue to tell people sonic is far better believes in net neutrality, offer fax, phone line, VPN, etc.
But the lack of real communication makes life difficult and I lose faith. You can delay a rollout by several month but you can’t pick a month and then 3 days before the month is over add two month yet again. This has happened two times now and give that I see no sonic fiber anywhere near us, I am pretty sure September is not going to be it either. But the only way these Pre-order people get any info is from us pasting into groups or nextdoor what Dane tells us here which is more info than any customer ever received. Can you guys please announce a new date and update people on the current status earlier in September and not just send a mail on the last day of September? Sonic is worth the wait but communication needs to change. You can’t communicate too much only too little. If sonic loses people to ATT fiber it will not be because of delays but because people feel sonic is not reliable if they can’t even communicate to people what the status is. And this would be a shame because I feel you guys are way better than that.
Thanks
by cmeisel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 am
Last but not least communication from sonic personal working down the hill have not helped either. Second neighbor was told 2019 now and posted it in our group unless this was not real and another rumor again. No info = stupid rumors
by dane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am
Regarding communication, the challenge on our side is that we don't have any certainty. We're waiting for things that we cannot control, such as permits, and we've got no good concrete timing expectation that we can communicate with confidence. So we have simply had delay after delay, but none is really tied to a firm expectation because the reasons are outside of our control. Sorry, it is certainly frustrating for all of us, customers, staff, and construction team members!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
26 posts Page 1 of 3