how bad will the speed be at johnstone drive & clarendon ave

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Ben » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:35 pm
I am moving to this area....
According to this website, i'll be about 11000 feet away from the central office.
Note I'm coming from AT&T from Los Angeles and currently getting a theoretical 3MBps max. Don't think I get that much...

A tech from AT&T told me today that my new location will only give me 1.5MBps download max, which is obviously a downgrade and is pretty pathetic.

Should I even consider sonic.net given the distance?

Thanks,
Ben
by klui » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:56 am
My parents in S.F. are around 10K feet from the CO and while they only had 1.5 Mbps with AT&T, their current Fusion connection allows for a bit more than 3 Mbps. They used to turn off their modem at night and Sonic's monitoring thought there were problems with the line and throttled down from 3.x to 1.5 Mbps. After a couple of calls performing diagnostics with support, the throttling was ultimately lifted and their connection is currently stable at 3 Mbps.

You should consider Sonic.
by Ben » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am
klui wrote:My parents in S.F. are around 10K feet from the CO and while they only had 1.5 Mbps with AT&T, their current Fusion connection allows for a bit more than 3 Mbps. They used to turn off their modem at night and Sonic's monitoring thought there were problems with the line and throttled down from 3.x to 1.5 Mbps. After a couple of calls performing diagnostics with support, the throttling was ultimately lifted and their connection is currently stable at 3 Mbps.

You should consider Sonic.
So you're saying AT&T throttled their line down to 1.5 MBps to get to the advertised rate, but physically it was able to handle more?
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm
Ben wrote:So you're saying AT&T throttled their line down to 1.5 MBps to get to the advertised rate, but physically it was able to handle more?
AT&T is very conservative on the max sync rate it allows for any connection. In my case, AT&T capped my line at 3 Mbps, because it felt the line would not support a greater bit rate. When I switched to Fusion, Sonic uncapped the line, and I get close to 11Mbps.
4 posts Page 1 of 1