Fiber on Mission Street 94112

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by EdRitger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:09 am
I noticed that Fiber is going to be available right up to the end of Cotter Street at Mission, but it does not seem like it will be available directly across the intersection along Mission Street! How could this be?!

That is a stinging disappointment to say the least. I have been a customer for over two years and have encouraged everyone I could in my neighborhood to sign up with Sonic, not only because of the potential of Fiber in our often-overlooked corner of the City, but for Sonic's stance on net neutrality, the FCC, and the vitality of the internet. I have watched my Sonic dsl speeds drop and drop over the past two years and I have stuck with Sonic with the hope that we would receive Fiber eventually. Now it will be 75 yards from my house and you are telling me that I am not eligible. I naively assumed that living on the major thoroughfare of Mission Street would guarantee that we would be among the first in our neighborhood to be offered Fiber. The fact that the details about the rollout are never shared by Sonic only compounds this intense frustration. We have no alternative in the Excelsior if we want to support an open and free internet and I am starting to get the impression that Sonic is leveraging that fact with customers like me that won't easily compromise our ethics. So we are stuck.

I'd love to know more about the decision making and the hurdles in place to extending the service another literally 226 feet to my building. I'd like to know because I want to put pressure on my supervisor, SFPW, etc to make this happen so if there is some bureaucratic reason and/or solution here, I want to know and do something about it.

What say you, Dane?
by larns576 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm
Are you on Mission St? I dont see any aerial utilities on Mission near Cotter. That would explain why. For the time being, Sonic only installs fiber on poles.
by EdRitger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm
Yes, I'm on Mission St. The poles, at least for electrical, run along the rear property lines, ie through the back yards of the block. Comms are probably underground.

So Fiber only on poles. I've never heard that. How can I find out more? Or where did you learn this?

Thanks for your reply.

Seems ironic that almost all of the billboards and bus adverts for Sonic are right on Mission Street!
by larns576 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:57 pm
Dane mentioned it before in some of his posts and blogs. A few of us here have been following the Sonic fiber upgrade for a few years now. Here's one of his more recent posts explaining a little bit about not serving homes with underground utilities.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1085&p=39847#p39847

In short, Comcast and ATT owns the underground trenches and the utilities that is served through it and they dont share. It's super expensive to build an underground trench and the city won't pass microtrenching to where it is usable. The City owned fiber initiative will be killed by Mayor Breed.

So for now, its aerial fiber or stick with Comcast/ATT.
4 posts Page 1 of 1