My Fusion router keeps losing sync

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by tbessie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Hi folks...

So I recently got a new surge protector for my computer equipment, including my router, DSL modem, etc.

After unplugging everything, I plugging everything back into the new surge protector.

Everything worked for awhile; but since then, the DSL modem (Zyxel P-663HN-51) has started losing sync; it happens sporadically - after 5 minutes or after 24 hours, etc.

Nothing else is effected - the computer, my home router, the TV, an AV receiver - nothing else is acting weird. And the DSL modem doesn't turn off, it just loses sync.

I had moved the modem on its side, so I wondered if it might be overheating (even though the place I put it had good airflow).

So to kill 2 birds with one stone, I unplugged the DSL modem from the new surge protector, and plugged it directly into a wall outlet; and I set it back upright in an open area (not on a shelf). I also unplugged the phone cord from both ends and re-plugged it in, in case it wasn't seated properly.

This seemed to cure the problem, but then it just went out again. The modem is powered, but it has lost sync and doesn't appear to be trying to re-sync.

This is really bizarre; if it were power fluctuations from the building, I would have seen this before. If it were issues with the new surge protector, I would see issues on my other devices, or it would have gone away when I plugged the device directly into the wall. If it were associated with power draw on the building's or surge protector's circuits, then this would happen when there's maximum power draw on it (all devices on), but this also happens when almost nothing else is drawing power.

Sonic Support ran a test on the device when I called, and found no issues with the line or the device.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Could my having unplugged it and plugged it back in caused some internal short that might be causing this? It's very mysterious...

- Tim
by igorru » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 pm
Hi Tim,

How old is your modem? Recently my 6+ year old Zyxel died after exhibiting similar symptoms for a little while. It would also randomly lose sync and then come back. Support could not find a problem either until it quit syncing at all. Ended up having to replace it with a new modem.

-Igor
by tbessie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:51 pm
igorru wrote:Hi Tim,

How old is your modem? Recently my 6+ year old Zyxel died after exhibiting similar symptoms for a little while. It would also randomly lose sync and then come back. Support could not find a problem either until it quit syncing at all. Ended up having to replace it with a new modem.

-Igor
I just checked my ancient emails, and it looks like I got this one about 6 years ago as well.

What did you replace it with? The correspondence I had regarding my current modem indicated that Sonic would be okay with me buying a new one from a 3rd-party to replace this one if I wanted to upgrade.

Any idea what Sonic's currently using, or what might be the best quality one of this type I could get?

- Tim
by igorru » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:41 am
For now I went with a rented one instead of buying my own. My location should be getting Fiber in the next couple of months or so and I will not need a modem after that. The one they provided me with is Pace 5268AC.

Igor
by mwedel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:56 pm
If you just have single line service, there are a lot of ADSL2 modems out there. If all you have is a basic modem + firewall (separate wireless), they can be pretty cheap (<$50 IIRC), so it pays for itself pretty quickly vs renting.

It seems that all of these are consumer level devices have limited lifespans - 6 years is actually pretty good.

I think some fusion customers may actually be running VDSL vs ADSL2 if you are close enough to the CO. Most (all?) VDSL modems also seem to do adsl2+. Putting VDSL modem into amazon search gets a decent number of hits.
by tbessie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 pm
mwedel wrote:If you just have single line service, there are a lot of ADSL2 modems out there. If all you have is a basic modem + firewall (separate wireless), they can be pretty cheap (<$50 IIRC), so it pays for itself pretty quickly vs renting.

It seems that all of these are consumer level devices have limited lifespans - 6 years is actually pretty good.

I think some fusion customers may actually be running VDSL vs ADSL2 if you are close enough to the CO. Most (all?) VDSL modems also seem to do adsl2+. Putting VDSL modem into amazon search gets a decent number of hits.
It's a dual-line modem, and I've found they are quite difficult to find. The company that makes the one Sonic currently uses has a couple of offices (or reps) in the Bay Area, so I've been trying to contact them.

I thought that this problem may have been due to power fluctuations, but after I adjusted the phone cable and phone line filter to be straighter, it hasn't had the problem since. I suspect that either there's a small break in the phone cable, or the phone jack or filter jack has some issues. I'll get a new filter and a new cable and try that.

- Tim
6 posts Page 1 of 1