Gigabit Updates and availability and a map...for the love of god please

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bkyu48 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 am
Is there anywhere we can see updates on Sonic’s gigabit Internet buildout and/or plans for future expansion? I’m getting really tired of DSL slow speeds and line drops because of my building’s old copper. The constant tease of “coming soon,” “plug in your address for availability” is just irritating. Why doesn’t Sonic just tell us exactly where gigabit is available, where it’s currently building, and future buildout plans? It can’t be hard to just add a gigabit map to the web site. Or post regular updates.
by Larns576 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:40 pm
Heres an unofficial map. Its not 100% accurate but its something.
https://thatdan.github.io/sonic_fiber/

Sonic used to announce rollout plans but now they dont. Most likely a competitive reason as ATT & Comcast both have tons of cash and can basically build whatever they want and where they want; for example where Sonic has announced plans to build...

Judging by that unoffical map, it seems that they build near the CO. Not a whole lot of info, but uts all the random guesses i have for today.
by tbessie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:42 pm
Agreed! A map with an index of what's happening where, what will probably happen where, etc. would be great.

I can only think it's not there for one of these reasons:

1. Nobody to do the work for that right now
2. Too many variables and too many specific locations to make it practical
3. Sonic doesn't want to do that for fear of scaring away customers who might see that they will never get gigabit speeds in the foreseeable future.

- Tim
3 posts Page 1 of 1