Do I need to upgrade my phone line?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by mmaggid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm
I switched over to Fusion and bought a new computer, but haven't been able to network my G4 to the new Mac mini. It works if I split the line to one phone and one computer, but with everything connected together on (wired) Ethernet network, the internet connection gets stupid and I can't connect. After two days of plugging various stuff into various stuff (with very helpful Sonic costumer service guys) I have concluded that my antique twisted wire coming into the house (Petaluma) is too wimpy to pump everything up.

If I want to upgrade service, what are my options? Who do I call to do it now that ATT&T is history? What do I say when I call them?

magicstudio
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:55 pm
Why don't you use a router? Most will let you have four hard-wired connections, and if you get a wifi router, you can have dozens of wifi devices.
by dane » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:03 pm
I'm also a bit confused about what the poster is trying to do. The reference to the splitting the phone line is confusing.

Basically the phone line carries the DSL signal to a DSL modem, which then serves computers. Many computers can connect behind a single modem/router, via Ethernet or wireless.

You cannot connect two DSL modems to two different phone jacks, that won't work. :)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mmaggid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm
Sorry for the muddled information. I've connected the phone line to my splitter and filtered the phone. The modem then goes to the router which Ethernets to the G4 and the Mac mini. The computer sharing works fine with this setup, but neither computer will go online. The ADSL light indicates that I am indeed hooked up. To go online, I have to go directly from the modem to computer A or computer B, which consequently disables the computer sharing thing.

What to do?

Thanks
magicstudio
by dane » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 pm
mmaggid wrote:Sorry for the muddled information. I've connected the phone line to my splitter and filtered the phone. The modem then goes to the router which Ethernets to the G4 and the Mac mini. The computer sharing works fine with this setup, but neither computer will go online. The ADSL light indicates that I am indeed hooked up. To go online, I have to go directly from the modem to computer A or computer B, which consequently disables the computer sharing thing.

What to do?

Thanks
magicstudio
Sounds like your router isn't obtaining an IP address via the modem. Is it set up to obtain and IP automatically, via DHCP?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mmaggid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 pm
Yes, automatic via DHCP when I set it up. But something's fishy. When I try to configure the G4 with it plugged directly (non router) into the modem, I get a warning window saying "Your network settings have been changed by another computer" and when I click the Okay button it keeps coming down and I have to force quit my System Preferences to escape. Maybe something with my File Sharing? Everything there is checked, as it is on the Mac mini. Any possibility of stupidity of older router (3-4 years?) router?
by dane » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:29 pm
Sorry, I'm not an expert on the Mac's behavior - and can't really speak for your older router.

Starting from Sunday, we will be offering a new modem/router/firewall combo, and if you find that yours is not working out, it would be worth considering. Our team will know it well, so it'd be easier for us to assist with (and of course it should "just work", in theory.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mmaggid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm
Thanks Dane,

Fabulous new Sonic modem router thing installed. Problem solved. Both Macs online now. Still getting unremovable warning message when I try to look at my network stuff on the G4, but otherwise everything okey dokey.

magicstudio
Petaluma
by dane » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm
Excellent, glad you like the new equipment!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1