Sonic Fiber in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
71 posts Page 5 of 8
by ankh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:33 pm
This is the test to use if you want bragging rights:

Ping 28 ms
Jitter 1 ms
Download 843.1Mbps
Upload 631.2 Mbps
http://pcmag.speedtestcustom.com/

Sonic's own speedtest is a bit less excited:

Ping 2 ms
Jitter 1 ms
Download 505.8 Mbps
Upload 463.0 Mbps
https://www.sonic.com/speedtest
by ankh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm
Even better results are possible if you keep checking:

Ping 3 ms
Jitter 1ms
Download 912.4 Mbps
Upload 909.1 Mbps
http://pcmag.speedtestcustom.com/result ... 56cb365bfd
by alexbaumgardt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Hi there,

I am on Hilldale Ave (at Marin), and have been waiting patiently on my pre-order. Even though I have seen Sonic installation van further down the hill (on Spruce, I believe) I can not see any progress 'up here' ... assuming we are last in line Sonic working themselves up the hill.

A quick question: I was wondered when to kill Comcast to avoid paying two service providers. Do any of you have some wisdom on that?

Thanks,
Neighbor Alex :)
by Larns576 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 pm
I'd keep comcast for a week after the new service is up and running. That I can be sure that the connection is stable and there are no problems or interruptions.

You don't want to cancel before service is running because preorders are often delayed. Even if you have an install appt, that can get delayed or even cancelled due to unforeseen issues.

YMMV though depending on how long you can be without internet.
by sidharth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:37 pm
What is the prospect for fiber in the 94703 area -- I live on the corner of Dwight & MLK. I got a mail drop from LMI saying it was available but it seems unlikely since I assume they are reselling Sonic fiber.

-Sid
by sniper1rfa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 pm
alexbaumgardt wrote:Hi there,

I am on Hilldale Ave (at Marin), and have been waiting patiently on my pre-order. Even though I have seen Sonic installation van further down the hill (on Spruce, I believe)
The last few days they have strung fiber across marin in a couple spots right below you, at cragmont/regal, spruce, and euclid i think. There is some more hanging in rollers as well.
by S Berkeley resident » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:02 pm
sidharth wrote:What is the prospect for fiber in the 94703 area -- I live on the corner of Dwight & MLK. I got a mail drop from LMI saying it was available but it seems unlikely since I assume they are reselling Sonic fiber.

-Sid
I know this will be great eventually but waiting for this to happen in south Berkeley is just painful. I was told definitely November but now it’s January. Hoping it happens soon....
by sidharth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 pm
Looks Fiber is getting closer to South Berkeley. I got this from an e-mail from Sonic on 1/4/19:

Now, what's happening in your neighborhood? Here's an quick update:

Your territory is currently in Construction and is next up for Activations!
Despite the slower holiday season, the Sonic team made great progress in the preliminary construction in your area. The Sonic team has signed on several additional subcontractors to help get your area connected. Fiber lines are continuing the be hung from the telephone poles in your area, and as normal business hours resume for city representatives, we'll be able to more quickly navigate through the required permitting process. Typical permitting processes require a form of written notification (mail, door hanger, etc.) to residents, followed by a 30 day commenting period to allow residents to comment on the construction taking place in their area. While permitting requirements are being fulfilled, the Sonic team has been completing preparatory work so that when final permit approval is received, we can hit the ground running.
by Orko » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:03 pm
For those of you who already have sonic in Berkeley, how much was your first year’s monthly payment? In the original ad they were saying $40 a month. But when we called in today to find out a status update, the call center fellow said it a full package might be around $60 instead.
In South Berkeley we were originally told they would arrive by November, but It still hasn’t arrived.
by dane » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 am
Orko wrote:For those of you who already have sonic in Berkeley, how much was your first year’s monthly payment? In the original ad they were saying $40 a month. But when we called in today to find out a status update, the call center fellow said it a full package might be around $60 instead.
In South Berkeley we were originally told they would arrive by November, but It still hasn’t arrived.
The service for the first year is $40/mo. Equipment varies based upon how much WiFi coverage you want; the basic single-point router is $9.50/mo, but most customers are now opting for a mesh solution, which is $8 each for wired units and $4 each for wireless repeaters. So, the minimum for that equipment is $12/mo for two units, which is suggested for about 2500sq/ft of coverage. If you took three units instead ($8+$4+$4), that'd be the suggested configuration for 3500sq/ft. But you can go for as much or as little WiFi coverage as you'd like, and you can add or remove devices at any time. You can learn more about the WiFi mesh equipment at http://sonic.com/betterwifi

Finally taxes and fees, which vary by City. Berkeley's got pretty high taxes, so currently those total up to $11.52/mo. You can find the current estimated taxes and fees for each City at: https://www.sonic.com/taxesfees#example

SO, if doing the math here, you'd be looking a total of about $40 + $12 + $11.52 = $63.52, for Service + Equipment + Taxes/Fees, if you went for a typical configuration with two WiFi access points.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
71 posts Page 5 of 8