Sonic Fiber in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
71 posts Page 2 of 8
by colbrio » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 pm
They strung the fiber cable to my phone pole 3 weeks ago. I saw 3 Sonic installers by Monterey Market last week. A friend said they were a new subscriber and they were up and running.

I find it a bit disrespectful that Sonic is providing installation to new customers before taking care of existing customers who have been paying them consciously for years. At least give me a glimmer of hope that someday I might find a Golden Ticket in my inbox. It's so disappointing to get emails putting off the dates month after month.
by ankh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 am
Well, each new customer adds to the revenue stream; each old customer converted over from bonded Fusion (at least) reduces the revenue as they charge less for fiber.

I can see the logic of connecting new customers as fast as possible, given the hit Sonic must be taking from the many delays in establishing service around Berkeley/Albany and elsewhere.
by m.harmon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:41 am
Fiber is usually installed in order of physically availability. Some areas are just easier to get to and so we get to those areas first. We are still the little guy so we can't be everywhere at once.

Having said that.... @colbrio it appears you are ready to get fiber installed. Check out the member tools or give our Sales folk a call and we can get you started on the fiber service.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by aanon4 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 am
ankh wrote:Well, each new customer adds to the revenue stream; each old customer converted over from bonded Fusion (at least) reduces the revenue as they charge less for fiber.
Is that really the case? I mean it could be, but Fusion runs over ATTs infrastructure which must be paid for, while the fiber is Sonics and so has none of those costs (yes, I'm ignoring capital costs). Also, if Fusion customer jump ship to another ISP because - let's face it - Fusion is slow, then Sonic reaps the ultimate reduction in revenue. Holding off moving loyal customer from moving to fiber would be a bonkers business move.
by ankh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am
Is that really the case?
It's just my uninformed guess, not to be considered reliable.
by aanon4 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:51 am
ankh wrote:
Is that really the case?
It's just my uninformed guess, not to be considered reliable.
Well likewise of course - just me musing aloud.
by ankh » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 am
Huh. I tried the "check availability" button, it takes my address/zip but still does nothing.

So I tried the "upgrade service" link under the Member Tools heading and that worked.

It let me order the fiber upgrade and a backup battery.

Well, this is progress. I thought they would send someone to make the changeover without asking.
by ankh » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am
Which model CyberPower UPS is Sonic selling as a ~$100 option with fiber installation?

I see several models with different capacities:

https://www.google.com/search?q=newegg+ ... ery+backup
by Zandr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02 pm
Ashby at Telegraph here... Member Tools still says September, which, well, It's September. Any update for South Berkeley?
by ankh » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Here's the answer from Support:
Here's our link for the backup battery:

https://techwiki.sontrak.net/index.php/ ... ery_Backup

There's a photo and some details about it, they are $99 and we can only supply them at the time of the installation. You can find compatible batteries online if you'd like to look elsewhere.

I can't get that techwiki page to open. Can anyone see it? What's the model number?
71 posts Page 2 of 8