Sonic Fiber in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
71 posts Page 1 of 8
by DannyDvito » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:39 pm
Hi there,
I signed up for a pre-order of Sonic in Berkeley (just north of the UC campus) and they mentioned that construction would be done by August.

However, I haven't heard a thing about construction being done by now.

I also keep getting emails "billing" me 0.00 dollars

Any ideas?
by cmeisel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am
Apparently there are delays in Berkeley waiting for a city of Berkeley permit. Ours was supposed to be done in May, then July, then Derek from sonic talked to the team and told me August and 3 days later came an email for September. Today came another email still saying September. I hope this actually means 100% September otherwise I would expect sonic to not send any more email unless their confidence level is really in the upper 90%.
This came today:
Order #644417
Hello,

This is a reminder that we expect to complete our Gigabit Fiber network construction in your area September 2018. Once construction is completed, we'll begin processing your order and contact you with next steps, which includes scheduling your installation.

(You could also use this as your reminder to do a load of laundry, but we'll leave that up to you.)

If you have any questions, contact us at support@sonic.net or text 707-800-4624.
by digitalbitstream » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 pm
Take a look on the poles near your house.
Now, travel almost anywhere in Northwest Berkeley and look.

The lowest wire is AT&T, above that Comcast. Is there a blank space above? Sonic is not yet at your area.
A wire, with ugly loops in the middle every few blocks, and orange tags? That's Sonic. Hang tight.

I'm now hooked up, near Monterey Market, with fiber. It's as advertised, though a few months late.
by cmeisel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm
Actually att strung fiber last week up cedar 5 trucks and in record time. I hope sonic is not coming up that way because now it looks very crowded in the poles up the hill. They (att) made it almost up to laloma not sure what their plans are. We want sonic not att for sure
by ankh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm
Take a look on the poles near your house. The lowest wire is AT&T, above that Comcast. Is there a blank space above? Sonic is not yet at your area.
A wire, with ugly loops in the middle every few blocks, and orange tags? That's Sonic.

hmmm ....
crows on wire.jpg
crows on wire.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
So what have we got on the poles here (besides the obvious)?

Beverly Place in Berkeley, 40 feet from the city line, in between Ventura (the Albany half of the block) and Monterey (the Berkeley half). The pictured pole is the last one in Berkeley; the next pole westward is right on the city line.
by tylertroy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 am
Spoke to sales this morning. The person on the line told me to expect fiber late November near my place at Rose and Grant. So tired of the constant pushing back of the date. Originally claimed to be available in April for me! Sonic, haven't you heard of under promise, over deliver?
by cmeisel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm
I could not agree more but Dane promised to talk to team and get back to people.
I said this before, I do understand delays but at this point we all feel the dates are very out of wack.
April turned into June, June turned into August and now it says September but given where the closest people with Fiber are to my location and the winter starting soon and permit issues, I feel Dec 2018 or maybe even 2019 are less likely.
Sonic should come up with realistic dates and let us know. To add two month each time a few days before the month is up is not working. We all have to believe the dates. I also do assume most people will happily wait for sonic. I wish I had known this delay would be so much because I would have signed for a year with xfinity and saved some money.

thanks, go sonic, don't give up most of us will happily wait, we just want more real dates.

claus
by bryanhaggerty » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 pm
This is interesting to hear given that I received an email on 8/31 stating that the date had been pushed from August to September. But then today I received an updated email saying it would now be September. Given speaking directly to a person and the delays which have already occurred, November does seem more likely.
tylertroy wrote:Spoke to sales this morning. The person on the line told me to expect fiber late November near my place at Rose and Grant. So tired of the constant pushing back of the date. Originally claimed to be available in April for me! Sonic, haven't you heard of under promise, over deliver?
by uzi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:29 pm
Got Fiber to the house on 8/29. Monterey and Posen. Cancelled Comcast yesterday. All good. :D
by ankh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm
AAugh. So close.

There's been a Sonic van parked two doors down .... but now it's gone.
71 posts Page 1 of 8