Sonic Fiber in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
71 posts Page 6 of 8
by ihafeez » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am
Dear Dane,

Does the zone affected by this "Optical Cabinet" hold-up include Shattuck & Dwight?

Thanks.
by dane » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 pm
ihafeez wrote:Dear Dane,

Does the zone affected by this "Optical Cabinet" hold-up include Shattuck & Dwight?

Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have the specifics on what areas are awaiting that review and permitting.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by maxinegerb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:29 pm
I don't understand why a whole new time-consuming Berkeley permitting review and public comment period are being required to deal with what are just (perhaps understandably) uninformed complaints about possible RF radiation and such emissions from the passive optical splitter boxes. This seems to me to be a really unnecessary and wasteful overreaction to an easily corrected misunderstanding. It took me all of about fifteen seconds to read and understand that these are completely passive devices with no power, antennas, etc., and you even provided helpful photos of the interior of the boxes illustrating that. Assuming that the Berkeley permitting authorities have some rudimentary understanding of the technical aspects of the systems that they're tasked with issuing permits for, why can't Sonic simply arrange for an inspector from the Berkeley permitting authority to look at the inside of one of these boxes in the company of a Sonic technician (or even Dane himself) to confirm for themselves what took me less than a minute to understand? It really seems like it should be an easy thing to clear up such a public misconception without having to go through a tedious, time-consuming, and expensive process, and I'd think that the Berkeley permitting authorities would be only too happy to save themselves all the time, expense and hassle of such a needless process. What am I missing here?
by Anon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 pm
I'm in berkeley and about to preorder. I haven't read this whole thread, but I see that in north Berk., 5g is being rolled out. People are very worried about that. It's probably conflicting with what Sonic is trying to do. Maybe if we all go to the city council meetings it might help?
by lefish » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:10 am
I would guess that it's not strictly an EMF/emissions issue. There are probably aesthetic and structural aspects as well. I don't have these concerns, but some people might object to the perceived visual blight of additional boxes on poles, especially as these are somewhat close to the ground. Plus I imagine they'd need to conform to standard practices of adequately securing the boxes, avoiding entaglement with other stuff on the pole, etc.
by ankh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 am
I'd think that the Berkeley permitting authorities would be only too happy to save themselves all the time, expense and hassle of such a needless process. What am I missing here?
Familiarity with the Berkeley experience.
by lindybombette » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:30 pm
My bet is its related to AT&T and Comcast trying to box out the competition until they can setup their own competitive offering.
by jonathanwadams » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm
I'm near Derby & Matthews, and while the last update I'd had said November 2018, the March 5th update I received last week said:

We've officially begun lighting up your neighborhood! 6% of your area is currently active, and more to begin activating very soon.

I called the phone number they gave, which didn't really get me any more information than I had; "Berkeley Permitting is slow", and "As a Sonic customer you're near the top of the list" basically.
by Nemesis » Thu May 09, 2019 4:17 pm
We live in South Berkeley (near Grove Park), and my husband was told today by Sonic support that we won't be getting it in our neighborhood until October 2020!! Has anyone else heard this?
by dane » Fri May 10, 2019 12:41 pm
I can’t imagine that could be right. I’ll check!

Oh, authenticate and post with your username please, so I can find you.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
71 posts Page 6 of 8