Extender: Tp-Link vs. Ubiquiti

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by waxriot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 am
I'm struggling with a tp-link that stops broadcasting overnight (tho lights show fine) and needs to be power-cycled every morning, now considering this:

Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE

Any feedback?

I'm staying as far away from Sonic equipment and support as I can, so not interested in their mesh, see my other threads.
by parker_day » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:08 am
Ubiquiti is probably better than Tp-Link, although I'm only basing that on brand reputation not personal experience. I have had the great success with systems like Google Wifi. People who want to stay away from Google seem to really like Eero. Otherwise, wireless-to-wireless extenders tend to cause more problems than they solve in my experience.
by LG12 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:35 am
Ubiquiti's networking gear is about as good as it gets. I currently have two of their Unifi Ap-AC Lites providing full 5ghz coverage to my home and I know for a fact that a lot of people who are being moved to symmetric gigabit but want to use their own hardware are using Ubiquiti Router/Firewalls and APs. While setup can be a bit more complex than with consumer grade hardware as long as you are willing to do a bit of googling to fix any issues you may run into you should be fine.

One question I have though is if you are sure that the linked item is what you need. It is a directional access point meant for beaming a signal from one location to another, for example providing wifi to a shed 500ft from your house that you are unable to run a cable to. It is not a router, firewall, or home wireless access point and lacks the circular range that standard wireless access points are built to deliver. Think of it as a cannon shooting a cannonball in a straight line a long distance away vs a brick of plastic explosive causing damage to large area around the location where it was placed.
by waxriot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am
We have a long narrow apartment, so directional could be just the thing.

It looks like the device isn't a wireless repeater, like the tp-link, instead it plugs into the router, so that element would be gone.
by Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:12 am
It looks like the device isn't a wireless repeater, like the tp-link, instead it plugs into the router, so that element would be gone.
If you're trying to extend an existing WiFi network (non-UniFi) then no, this is not what you're looking for. Having said that I recommend Ubiquiti devices over consumer grade stuff considering their performance, reliability and cost. I have two UniFi AP-AC-LR's serving my house's WiFi and they work great - especially with band steering @ 5GHz enabled. Both are wired over Cat 6a but UniFi APs and their mesh devices can also utilize it's wireless uplink technology or act as a wireless 'extender' as you call it.

You may find that one AP-AC-LR mounted in the proper location/direction covers your apartment just fine but if not you could add another LR or a cheaper UniFi AC Mesh and then enable wireless uplink in the UniFi Controller (although I believe it's enabled by default). In short, the LR would need to be wired to your existing router with the other AP/mesh device acting as a wireless extender if needed.
by waxriot » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:03 pm
I see that only the Ub. airMax versions can work as access points (vs. using in pairs to get to an access point). So far so good, but then in the 1-star reviews,

"You're warned to stay about two feet away from it, at all times, when it's powered up."

Which put me off because I was going to put it by my chair.

Update: I realized the tp-link can function as a cabled access point, so I gave its channels their own SSIDs, and the config worked overnight without needing a power cycle, so in this light the tp-link is nice because it's so small. (AC750, model RE205, ~$40)
by Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:43 am
Since I was going to put it next to my chair, now I'm thinking of just using another wireless router on an 8-10' wired connection.
Maybe I'm missing something here but why not wire a UAP-AC-LR 8'-10' away vs buying a second router simply to use as an AP? Unless you mean the new wireless router will replace your existing one.... Either way best of luck.
by waxriot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:52 am
Looks like this comment was added before I updated that I got the tp-link working on the wire.

The idea of having a hot-temperature broadcast device anywhere in the house just doesn't appeal. :-)
8 posts Page 1 of 1