Wifi download/upload not spectacular

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by johnandlu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:58 pm
Upgraded to Fiber last week here in Berkeley, was expecting magic speed, don't have it. I have speed tested repeatedly - highest download - 50mbps once, I think with the extender off, usual 10-20 mbps - sometimes .7mbps. Is this what we should expect? Just did a new one - 17.17 mbps download, 37.8 upload. Admittedly my kid is probably watching videos and my husband streaming radio........

I did put a wifi extender in my house because the new router does not get WIFI to the living room and front yard (old DSL one did from the same location). I am on wifi - maybe 20 feet from the router, up a flight of stairs and have 2 bars on my laptop used to have all bars. I am seeing lots of people in my area complaining about the fiber router - what is the remedy for this?
by m.harmon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 am
Have you been able to test directly with an ethernet cable? Wireless issues often end up being made up of different parts, whereas if you are getting slow speed direct via ethernet then we have narrowed down the problem zone considerably.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by dane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:10 am
Sonic will soon begin offering a whole-home wireless mesh solution, and that's the real fix for amazing wireless coverage. It's in testing now for some new customers, and will become general availability shortly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by karalyle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm
I've had Sonic for several weeks. The day it was installed I did WiFi speed tests in multiple rooms in my house. Like you, I was unimpressed, with average download speeds around 60 and upload speeds lower than that. I then splurged on a Google WiFi mesh system with 3 Wifi points and the difference was astonishing, with my down and upload speeds literally 10 times faster. It cost $250 but I figure that with the promo of 2 free months of Sonic and then a monthly fee way lower than what I was paying to Comcast, this expense will be way worth it. After 2 weeks, I remain very impressed.
by uzi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:50 pm
johnandlu, I have been messing around with my setting since my install and here is what I learned. It might help you as well.

The RG router from Sonic LAN connection (hard wired) speeds are not an issue. I get 980 Mbps consistently. Very fast.
The Wireless speed however is a different story and on the 2.4 Ghz band was slow near the router and the 5Ghz fast near but not effective at a distance.

I connected my old Netgear R7000 router and saw a three fold improvement on wireless but only half the speed on the LAN (480 Mbps).
After much digging on the Netgear boards I followed the suggestions and reset the router to Factory defaults and BOOM! 780 MPBS. Can't get beyond that.

So try another, proven, wireless router.

One last recommendation: Using Speedtest.net only for testing is a crapshoot. A lot depends on the server on the other side. I found that unwired in SF is a good host on speedtest.net
I also use Netflix's test server: https://fast.com/ and it shows much faster speeds.
Same for http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
I think the host servers on both xfinity and Neflix are better optimized for Gigabit speed.

Good luck.
5 posts Page 1 of 1