Smoth Transition from Megapath to Sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by CalvinFold » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:54 am
Quite likely I'll be migrating from Megapath to Sonic in the months to come, and am looking for advice on doing a smooth transition.

My current concerns:

Email and hosted domain
Currently my email all goes to my hosted domain, not my ISP account (I don't use or check my @speakeasy.net account). I can't afford this to go down or else dozens upon dozens of subscriptions might bounce, then disconnect, then the painful process of re-upping them with passwords I haven't had to know for 10 years. ;-p

Is there a way to move my domain and email away from Megapath before the switch of the DSL (physical) service? And then of course a seamless way from that interim to Sonic. Or is there a way for me to move that seamlessly directly to Sonic? If this meant having overlapping service, that would be okay if the cost isn't excessive. I'm more concerned about the seamlessness of it all.

Internet Access
I'm guessing from reading the forums that this is the tricky part and I can expect a "gap" in service between unhooking one service (Megapath) and connecting to the new service (Sonic)? Is there any way to mitigate the downtime? I'm an IS/IT professional who can work from home and involved in web design, so losing internet is a bit like withdrawal. At the very least, it means losing even simple email access without visiting a local Starbucks. ;-p

My web site
My web site can afford to go down for a while, it's barely used and I haven't updated it for years. I figured this I can just copy-down before I cancel Megapath and then copy-back up once Sonic service is active. No big deal unless there is a cleaner way to do this.

Thanks in advance!
by virtualmike » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm
You can subscribe to web hosting independently of the access.

A couple of years ago, I moved my domain from a Phoenix-based registration and web hosting company. However, that company was not cooperative with the process, constantly throwing obstacles in my way.

Sonic.net's Tech Support people worked with me to get my hosting service established and configured in phases so that I had no interruptions in service.
2 posts Page 1 of 1