Strange Gigabit Availability in Mission Terrace

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by rforrest » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:33 am
Wow, disappointing, but I understand. I was hoping to get into the October build out, but it sounds like a very long wait in the new queue.

Thanks for the description and the clear communication. It really helps!
by jmarcaida » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:22 am
Sonic cancelled my preorder for gigabit. I'm pretty disappointed, as it looks like every house in my neighborhood is able to get gigabit except for my block. I've been told that the poles are overloaded and was given no ETA on when or if gigabit would be coming to my block. There's another pole down the street that is servicing 10 homes, but is not considered overloaded and are all able to receive gigabit from sonic. I've been a customer for 5 years and I've been advocating for my neighbors and friends to get Sonic, and now that its here its not available for me. Is there any way to get this service or am I SOL?
by dane » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 am
jmarcaida wrote:Sonic cancelled my preorder for gigabit. I'm pretty disappointed, as it looks like every house in my neighborhood is able to get gigabit except for my block. I've been told that the poles are overloaded and was given no ETA on when or if gigabit would be coming to my block. There's another pole down the street that is servicing 10 homes, but is not considered overloaded and are all able to receive gigabit from sonic. I've been a customer for 5 years and I've been advocating for my neighbors and friends to get Sonic, and now that its here its not available for me. Is there any way to get this service or am I SOL?
We share your disappointment with the situation with the overloaded pole affecting your segment. My suggestion for trying to get the pole made safe would be to file your comments with the CPUC, via their online system. That may help bring the widespread situation with overloaded poles more attention and hopefully more rapid resolution.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by eritger » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 pm
Thanks for the updates Dale. It seems like there is no chance for gigabit service along Mission Street in the Excelsior either? Is that for the same reason, overloaded poles? Or is there some other reason why the main commercial corridor is not getting Fiber, but many of the side streets like Francis and Cotter are? Is it that there are no poles along Mission? If that is the case, what is the solution?

What can we do as customers to make fiber available to us? Who can we contact? Where should we make our voices heard?

Thanks for your help!
by Larns576 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm
Its because there are no utility poles on Mission St. You are basically at the mercy of ATT/Comcast and hopefully they'll upgrade their lines.

If SF laws can be changed to allow equal access to the conduits or allow microtrenching, then there's a chance Sonic can bring fiber to no pole streets.
by rforrest1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:41 am
It looks like AT&T just installed fiber throughout my neighborhood. Telltale orange labels along Cayuga (and small streets) East of Tingley. They have also been doing a lot of work on San Jose.

Does this mean they beat Sonic to the install? Would Sonic ever install a second fiber install so we didn't have to buy from AT&T?
16 posts Page 2 of 2