SmartMeter and Interference?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by wildeone » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47 pm
It seems that since a Smart Meter was installed, I periodically get kicked offline. My router is in my office, right on the other side of the wall from the meter.

I have also heard a loud, long burst of static on my cordless phone if I am on a call at roughly the same times of day I seem to get kicked off. Bzzzzzzzzzzt! Can't hear through it, so I assume that an internet connection would suffer as well.

My only other live phone line for the router is in the kitchen, which I understand is not ideal due to the grease in the air that gets deposited on things (even with infrequent cooking).

Any ideas?

Beth
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:40 pm
My understanding is that PG&E Smartmeters chirp four times a day in the 2.4GHz band. This can potentially cause interference with other 2.4GHz devices, including WiFi networks, baby monitors, wireless security cameras, and some cordless phones.

Fusion itself operates under two megahertz, so the meter would have to be improperly-installed or faulty to knock the modem out of sync.

Please note that I'm not an expert on PG&E equipment. I personally have a smartmeter mounted a couple feet from my MPOE and see no problems with my wireless or Fusion.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by wildeone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am
Thanks. I know that the phone lines here when I moved were considered so "dirty" that Sonic didn't even try DSL until I begged them, and my speed is very low, but it beats dialup. So maybe it's just lousy lines.
3 posts Page 1 of 1