First photo of new modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by dane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 pm
Coming soon! Testing out the new modem at home.

(Click to show full size)

Attachments

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cataha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm
Who is it made by?(belkin netgear linksys w/openswan .....)
Any specs?
Can it be reverted to dd-wrt or other open source?
by dane » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm
cataha wrote:Who is it made by?(belkin netgear linksys w/openswan .....)
Any specs?
Can it be reverted to dd-wrt or other open source?
The unit is a Pace 4111N, ADSL2+ Annex A/M modem/router/firewall. It's offers four 100Mbps Ethernet jacks and high-powered 802.11N WiFi (up to 400mw).

I don't believe it can be flashed to custom firmware - and this could cause the support interconnection to our troubleshooting tools to fail in any case. If you'd like to use a DD-WRT or other router of your own, you'd place it behind this unit.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by wifi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 pm
Did you also consider the iNID idea (like Uverse)?
This is not suitable for everyone .. but if you have poor inside wiring that cannot be upgraded, then putting the CPE at the outside could give a boost in both reliability and speed.
http://www.pace.com/universal/gateways/ ... rtal-inid/
by klui » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:21 am
It looks nice but I am weary about 2wire products because it seems a lot of them inadequately spec'ed power supplies. I consider Netgear having the same issue.
by dane » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:15 pm
klui wrote:It looks nice but I am weary about 2wire products because it seems a lot of them inadequately spec'ed power supplies. I consider Netgear having the same issue.
Yes, they had an incident that was notorious, with power supplies that failed a year or more two in. But, that was a long time ago, with an unrelated product, and there have been no reports of similar issues with this much newer model.

I will point out, as we're talking about how cool this new modem is, that even the power supply itself has features:

The plug can be rotated 90 degrees via a snap in/out system, allowing you to fit it into your power strip well

It has a visible green LED which indicates if it is functioning. This can be useful when troubleshooting to determine if the modem or power supply or power source are the issue.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by klui » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:56 pm
dane wrote:Yes, they had an incident that was notorious, with power supplies that failed a year or more two in. But, that was a long time ago, with an unrelated product, and there have been no reports of similar issues with this much newer model.
It may be so but if the thing requires 1A and the wall wart is tiny, it's bound to fail sooner rather than later. I have older warts where 1A and they are huge and heavy. But they still work.
by Guest » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:30 pm
I really would like a GigE interfaces for LAN.
by dane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:52 pm
Guest wrote:I really would like a GigE interfaces for LAN.
This was something we were seeking in this device, but unfortunately we couldn't find a good solution that offered Gigabit on the LAN side with a single-port DSL modem. Even the VDSL2 single-port modems were virtually all 100Mbps FE on the Ethernet.

You could deploy a Gigabit switch behind this device - or even a Gigabit router, while turning on LAN Subports in our device, which bridges one or more of the Ethernet ports directly to the network. There is a lot of flexibility.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1