gateway upgrade for better WiFi?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by tebeloney » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm
Hello,

I have the 50 down and I think 6 up service, even though AT&T installed fiber to my house. I understand Sonic can't solve that issue overnight, but the WiFi performance anywhere away from our kitchen and living room is very slow. I will also mention that, even though my DirecTV Now is on a wired connection, it performed very poorly every time my wife moved photos from her Google to our Amazon online accounts (downloading and uploading essentially). She is now banned from doing that during peak hours! :)

That being said, we consistently get 50mbps down close to the gateway but as low as 1.xmbps a room or two over. I've tried wifi extenders which help a little but it's oddly inconsistent. Aonic Support has been great in helping me, but my settings are all fine.

We never had this issue with the Xfinity service. I know the overall speeds on Xfinity were faster but could it be a gateway issue? Has anyone upgraded to a "higher end" or "better" gateway and gotten better wifi coverage?

Thank you
by dane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm
We are working on a mesh WiFi solution that’d provide for as much coverage in and around the home as you want. I’ve currently got it deployed in my home, and am using a few units and getting amazing consistent coverage.

This will be available to all members soon.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timyu94 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm
dane wrote:We are working on a mesh WiFi solution that’d provide for as much coverage in and around the home as you want. I’ve currently got it deployed in my home, and am using a few units and getting amazing consistent coverage.

Are these mesh units with dedicated backhaul radios like the netgear orbis or linksys velop or is it the single radio ones that are more akin to repeaters Ala Google wifi, amplifi, etc?
by dane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 pm
timyu94 wrote:
dane wrote:We are working on a mesh WiFi solution that’d provide for as much coverage in and around the home as you want. I’ve currently got it deployed in my home, and am using a few units and getting amazing consistent coverage.

Are these mesh units with dedicated backhaul radios like the netgear orbis or linksys velop or is it the single radio ones that are more akin to repeaters Ala Google wifi, amplifi, etc?
Both options will be available.

The starter bundle is a base unit (which has tri-band, with one dedicated 5ghz radio for backhaul) and a mesh repeater unit (which is dual-band, so the 5ghz shares client and backhaul duties). The bundle of these two units is planned to be offered at $12 monthly.

You can add additional tri-band units if you'd like, they are expected to be $8 monthly each, and they also can be connected by Ethernet, and they also output Ethernet for connecting nearby non-WiFi devices. And you can add more dual-band repeaters too, they're expected to be just $4 each.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timyu94 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:43 pm
dane wrote:
timyu94 wrote:
dane wrote: Both options will be available.

The starter bundle is a base unit (which has tri-band, with one dedicated 5ghz radio for backhaul) and a mesh repeater unit (which is dual-band, so the 5ghz shares client and backhaul duties). The bundle of these two units is planned to be offered at $12 monthly.

You can add additional tri-band units if you'd like, they are expected to be $8 monthly each, and they also can be connected by Ethernet, and they also output Ethernet for connecting nearby non-WiFi devices. And you can add more dual-band repeaters too, they're expected to be just $4 each.
Very nice though I'd imagine having the triband bundle available from the get go capable of dedicated backhaul for both increased coverage and performance would make most consumers happier with a cheaper dual band bundle for the more price conscious.

Regardless that's just a nitpick. It's awesome Sonic is open to offering such units!
by dane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 pm
I think there will be lots of flexibility, as long as you’ve got two or more units.

At my home for example I’ve got a few tri-band ones where I’ve got wired Ethernet, and a couple of the two-band repeaters. It’s a great setup, and I get consistent coverage from every part of my lot, from the front edge of the lawn to the back fence, corner to corner. It’s pretty awesome.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Kevin_Stephens2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am
I am no longer using the Sonic Router (Black Box) and now using Plum Super Pod my new router (Big Gray) and
Plum Regular pod (Small Grey) for wirelees extensions.
Picture link below

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtsbykLyCmC6hP0vEh74rz8VuAktfg
by Newcolour78 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:00 pm

I am very interested in this as well and am wondering if it would be possible to know when it will be available. I have 400+Mbps in the room where the router is, but almost non-existent service anywhere else in the house, due to very thick walls. I was considering getting a mesh, but if Sonic is going to offer one, I'll gladly take that instead :) I'm just hoping it will be very soon.

Thanks!
S.
8 posts Page 1 of 1