Resale of AT&T Fiber Offerings?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
105 posts Page 10 of 11
by Ney Fusion2X Cust » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm
dane wrote:
Ney Fusion2X Cust wrote:Wow ! On the one hand it is nice that you have figured out a way to provide faster service to your customers who are being held hostage by AT&T. But really now, this is a betrayal of the price/performance promises made when we originally signed up for FTTH by accepting copper DSL Fusion 2X while waiting for you to deliver. Fiber speed pricing tiers are in effect a betrayal of your promise not to cap speeds, so bye-bye Net Neutrality. The data pipe provides 1000 Mbps up and down but you will be throttling it down to 100 or 50 depending on what we are willing to pay monthly over and above our original agreement. This is not the Sonic we were introduced to. I understand your tech/business problem, but from our perspective this is Bait and Switch, no other way to describe our experience.
Yes, for the resold AT&T IP Broadband products, we do not control the speeds or prices. These services are as an option for those who would prefer to work directly with Sonic instead of AT&T, while waiting for Sonic fiber.

For our Fusion copper and fiber services that utilize our own network, we can control product design and policies, and that's really where we'd like to see all of our customers in the long run. That's why we're expanding our fiber footprint every day!
by Ney Fusion2X Cust » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Hey Dane,

Wanted to give you and your engineering staff a heads-up that ATT installed a brand spanking new pole yesterday on the southwest corner of Ney and Condon here in the Excelsior. I hope that means we can get the ball rolling to bring real deal SONIC FTTH to our block.

Thanks in advance . . .

"'Ney Fusion2X Cust "

dane wrote:
Ney Fusion2X Cust wrote:Wow ! On the one hand it is nice that you have figured out a way to provide faster service to your customers who are being held hostage by AT&T. But really now, this is a betrayal of the price/performance promises made when we originally signed up for FTTH by accepting copper DSL Fusion 2X while waiting for you to deliver. Fiber speed pricing tiers are in effect a betrayal of your promise not to cap speeds, so bye-bye Net Neutrality. The data pipe provides 1000 Mbps up and down but you will be throttling it down to 100 or 50 depending on what we are willing to pay monthly over and above our original agreement. This is not the Sonic we were introduced to. I understand your tech/business problem, but from our perspective this is Bait and Switch, no other way to describe our experience.
Yes, for the resold AT&T IP Broadband products, we do not control the speeds or prices. These services are as an option for those who would prefer to work directly with Sonic instead of AT&T, while waiting for Sonic fiber.

For our Fusion copper and fiber services that utilize our own network, we can control product design and policies, and that's really where we'd like to see all of our customers in the long run. That's why we're expanding our fiber footprint every day!
by gtquark » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm
dane wrote:Yes, every upgrade or downgrade results in a new modem, and a new term commitment. I’d suggest ordering what you want to stick with for at least a year.
I love, love, LOVE Sonic and have greatly enjoyed my service for the last couple years. I was very excited to learn that Fusion IP Broadband was available in my area, and my location had the ability to upgrade to the symmetric offerings. I used the upgrade/downgrade service in member tools and opted for the Fusion IP Broadband FX1 service.

That's were things started to go sideways for me. AT&T apparently cancelled my first install date on Oct. 11, and it's been a month long saga including multiple visits from AT&T, and many calls and texts with the Sonic support team and lots of waiting. Today I was finally told that I cannot get the symmetric 50/50 service that I requested, although I am being billed for it. I also have received an increase on my bill for the modem rental, although I am using the same physical modem I have been using for the last ~2 years. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I still think Sonic is still the best option for me, but at this point I'm disappointed and frustrated.
by starfox » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:46 am
I recently joined Sonic on the FX1 IP Broadband tier. I'm not getting the advertised speed currently due to issues with the provisioning right now, but I noticed on the support site that it should be syncing at 90-100 Mbps.

Is FX1 a 100/100 or 50/50?
by kumon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I'm a current AT&T Fiber customer and want to move to Sonic. I'm currently using a Unifi Security Gateway workaround to not have to deal with the AT&T provided router outside of authentication. If I switch to Sonic will I be able to just plug in my USG straight to the ONT? Thanks!
by timyu94 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm
kumon wrote:I'm a current AT&T Fiber customer and want to move to Sonic. I'm currently using a Unifi Security Gateway workaround to not have to deal with the AT&T provided router outside of authentication. If I switch to Sonic will I be able to just plug in my USG straight to the ONT? Thanks!
Yep!

Just plug it in and it'll give you an IP address. No need for iP passthrough or DMZ+ as ATT uses 802.1x embedded certificates in their RGs.
by mediahound » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 pm
drew.phillips wrote:For those still waiting, if you haven't checked yet, the new AT&T fiber offerings and 75 Mbps speed tier are available from the upgrade tool! https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/
Still shows nothing new available for me... I'm currently on the Sonic FTTN Fusion 50 Mbps service.
by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 am
mediahound wrote:
drew.phillips wrote:For those still waiting, if you haven't checked yet, the new AT&T fiber offerings and 75 Mbps speed tier are available from the upgrade tool! https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/
Still shows nothing new available for me... I'm currently on the Sonic FTTN Fusion 50 Mbps service.
Unfortunately 75 Mbps isn't always available. At home I'm in the same situation. I have 50 Mbps X2 service, with each line syncing at around 85 Mbps, but 75 isn't offered at my location (either from Sonic or directly from AT&T).
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by mediahound » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am
drew.phillips wrote:
mediahound wrote:
Unfortunately 75 Mbps isn't always available. At home I'm in the same situation. I have 50 Mbps X2 service, with each line syncing at around 85 Mbps, but 75 isn't offered at my location (either from Sonic or directly from AT&T).
I thought I heard (several months ago) that faster AT&T tiers would become available through Sonic and even the AT&T gigabit fiber service. It seems like Sonic is focusing on their own fiber built out, which is great for those in those areas, but those of us on an AT&T Sonic plan seem to be getting forgotten.
by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm
mediahound wrote:I thought I heard (several months ago) that faster AT&T tiers would become available through Sonic and even the AT&T gigabit fiber service. It seems like Sonic is focusing on their own fiber built out, which is great for those in those areas, but those of us on an AT&T Sonic plan seem to be getting forgotten.
This is correct, we are able to resell faster AT&T tiers including their Fiber service (50, 100, 1000 Mbps), where it is available.

If your address only shows IP Broadband X2 at 50 Mbps and the service update tools says no other services are available, then this is currently the best available service from AT&T. If and when they install fiber at your location, you'll be able to upgrade with Sonic as soon as that's the case.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
105 posts Page 10 of 11