Resale of AT&T Fiber Offerings?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
105 posts Page 9 of 11
by jrostkow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm
Are we talking 75 Mbps for FTTN? I have FTTN and tool says upgrade not available. Does this mean I am out of luck (too far away, not available in my area, etc)?
by drew.phillips » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 pm
jrostkow wrote:Are we talking 75 Mbps for FTTN? I have FTTN and tool says upgrade not available. Does this mean I am out of luck (too far away, not available in my area, etc)?
I believe that distance, equipment in the area, and neighborhood capacity can all be factors for availability of the 75 Mbps service. It's not an option for me either and I'm pretty close to the VRAD and both of my lines are synced at 85 Mbps so clearly here what's obtainable is not the reason its not available.

I'd keep checking periodically and see if the situation changes, and I'll do more research in the mean time to see if we can find out a any further explanations. If we're unable to offer it, it is also unavailable from AT&T directly in every case I've seen so far.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by timyu94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am
drew.phillips wrote:
jrostkow wrote:Are we talking 75 Mbps for FTTN? I have FTTN and tool says upgrade not available. Does this mean I am out of luck (too far away, not available in my area, etc)?
I believe that distance, equipment in the area, and neighborhood capacity can all be factors for availability of the 75 Mbps service. It's not an option for me either and I'm pretty close to the VRAD and both of my lines are synced at 85 Mbps so clearly here what's obtainable is not the reason its not available.

I'd keep checking periodically and see if the situation changes, and I'll do more research in the mean time to see if we can find out a any further explanations. If we're unable to offer it, it is also unavailable from AT&T directly in every case I've seen so far.
From what I've read on ATTs own support forums and other ones it's usually a database qualification error. It takes a lot of bugging the right ATT people who can do stuff in the backend to make a location with great line stats qualify.
by Aperotti28 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:51 am
Called Sonic yesterday, if anyone was wondering about your privacy of data use over leased AT&T lines, not to worry Sonic said they have an agreement that AT&T can't look at any of the traffic.
by smolnar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 am
drew.phillips wrote:For those still waiting, if you haven't checked yet, the new AT&T fiber offerings and 75 Mbps speed tier are available from the upgrade tool! https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/
Under what conditions would the date dropdown boxes not have any information?
by timyu94 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm
And the Sonic IPBB upgrade from 45 single pair to bonded pair 75 is done.

by pmbell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:03 pm
The fiber availability via ATT in Oakland is great! I wish I'd known of it before randomly poking my head into the forums. Definitely a time when a notification by email would've been welcome.

The competing ATT products have a 1T cap - am I right in thinking Sonic is reselling a non-capped, business class product, as you do with the FTTN products?

Couple of questions about upgrading the bandwidth:

If I start by replacing my FTTN with the 50 mbps service and later find I want to upgrade to 100 mbps service, do I need a different modem?

If I start by replacing my FTTN with the 50 mbps service and later find I want to upgrade to the gig service, do I need a different modem?
by dane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:24 pm
Yes, every upgrade or downgrade results in a new modem, and a new term commitment. I’d suggest ordering what you want to stick with for at least a year.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by xtian.stratus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm
I'm finally done with my install. Thanks! I was "beta testing" for fiber installations in Orinda. The AT&T tech said mine was the first house in the area to get a fiber line.

The install was a bit complicated. My location on a hill with trees caused some trouble for the AT&T tech - he had a second tech with a bucket crane truck come in later in the day to help install the new fiber cable. And after the install, the modem turned out to be faulty (not going over 70mbps). So later in the week, the tech returned with a new modem. I now get 700-800mbps via ethernet.

Despite the delays and extra time spent, the AT&T techs and Drew at Sonic were great to deal with.

As an aside, the new fiber speeds made me realize my airport extreme was way under performing. So I upgraded to a Ubiquity AP AC Pro WAP. I'm now getting 300mbps via wifi...fantastic!
by paulcoldren » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:47 pm
Is there an estimated timeframe for the availability of small business plans?

We're looking to upgrade from ATT 25/25 business fiber in the near future.
105 posts Page 9 of 11