Resale of AT&T Fiber Offerings?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
105 posts Page 7 of 11
by tonyquan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:01 am
I'm a current AT&T fiber customer and had some questions on this as well:
  • Is IPv6 connectivity offered (AT&T fiber does have it, I'd assume so but in a separate email exchange with Dane, he was still checking on this)
  • Similar to what was asked above, would I basically be keeping the same AT&T ONT and CPE, or is different equipment used? (For those who don't have AT&T fiber now, at least the AT&T fiber installs as of last year had both an ONT, which was the bridge between fiber and ethernet, and an ethernet run from the ONT to a CPE device like the Pace 5268AC)
  • Is the VoIP offering the same as Sonic VoIP with their ATA?
by soanvu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Is there any rough ETA when existing customers would be able to upgrade? I believe I saw @drew.phillips mentioning a pilot upgrade program. I would be extremely interested if that offer is available still.
by ggladsto » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:51 pm
I just entered a single family home address in 94112- and the Sonic website says 1000Mbps (ATT resold fiber) is available for $80/month
by nuclianba » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm
paulcoldren wrote:Two questions:

1. Does this use the same customer premise equipment with the same firmware as regular AT&T fiber (Arris NVG595)? Meaning -- does it suffer the same debilitatingly small NAT table limit and lack of true bridge mode as regular AT&T fiber? This is the subject of much discussion and disappointment across the Internet, and it hasn't been solved except with complex packet filtering and forwarding workarounds using additional hardware (http://blog.0xpebbles.org/Bypassing-At- ... ble-limits).
FYI I got setup today. I was given a BWG210 gateway from ATT. It shows a NAT size of ~9000
by tristan.mahe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 am
tonyquan wrote:I'm a current AT&T fiber customer and had some questions on this as well:
  • Is IPv6 connectivity offered (AT&T fiber does have it, I'd assume so but in a separate email exchange with Dane, he was still checking on this)
  • Similar to what was asked above, would I basically be keeping the same AT&T ONT and CPE, or is different equipment used? (For those who don't have AT&T fiber now, at least the AT&T fiber installs as of last year had both an ONT, which was the bridge between fiber and ethernet, and an ethernet run from the ONT to a CPE device like the Pace 5268AC)
  • Is the VoIP offering the same as Sonic VoIP with their ATA?
I got installed Monday, I got the fiber ONT + Pace 5268AC FXN, no problem in dmz+ with my own router.

Got Ipv6, no issues at all there.

The ATA for voip was shipped by Sonic. I believe it is the standard one.

Everything went well for the setup, just need to call Sonic support as it seems I am on a wrong profile ( supposed to be 75/75, I have 80/10 ).
Just that little glitch to correct and I'll be very happy :)

I would recommend you proceed with your order !
by chucko » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am
We just got upgraded from FTTNx2 to gigabit fiber in Sunnyvale's San Miguel neighborhood (94085). Installation process was a breeze, once the AT&T tech found out we already had fiber to the house. AT&T provided an Arris BGW210-700 as the gateway. We get symmetrical 920-930 Mb/s up and down through their box.

For several years now we've been running pfSense on an Atom D525 box behind the gateway. It's now the bottleneck in our wired network configuration, as it will only pass about 600 Mb/s down and 800 up. I had a stumble before I remembered I had rate limiters in place on the old FTTNx2. A new router box is on order. (We would have had to replace it soon anyway, as the next pfSense release won't run on such antique hardware.)

Thanks to Drew for getting us into the upgrade queue early!
by jessieandrob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Going to echo the last two posts here. Sonic offered us an upgrade from FTTN to Fiber in El Cerrito. We opted for the 100/100 level.

From initiation to install took just under two weeks. We had no interruption in internet service, and the particular AT&T tech that came out for the install was knowledgeable and friendly (surprising!).

Something to note: the fiber drop has to be relatively straight. The tech cannot bend the fiber wire too much, so this will limit where the connection can be placed. In our home, the tech installed a box on our exterior wall near our old NID, drilled a hole to the interior, and installed an AT&T ONT device on the inside wall. This is then connected to an AT&T RG (a BGW210).

I set up the RG in IP Passthrough to work with our own router.

Everything seems to be working well, and the bandwidth tests were good.

Hopefully this process will be as smooth for others upgrading!
by soanvu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 am
For the people who have gotten the at&t fiber, how long did the actual install take?
by chucko » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 am
We were FTTNx2 customers before, so we already had AT&T fiber. Scheduling took a couple of weeks.

Once the installer got there and figured out we had fiber, and where the other end was, it was a total of less than 2 hours.
by kevintsui » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am
I'm currently on Fusion X2. Any chance I can join in on the select group to upgrade to Fiber?
105 posts Page 7 of 11