Resale of AT&T Fiber Offerings?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
105 posts Page 6 of 11
by zamfi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 am
Oh I am super excited about this. Current customer, so will wait a few weeks to upgrade.

A few quick questions:

1) Will our traffic go over Sonic's network, or is it all AT&Ts? In others words -- do we get Sonic's data & NN protections, or does AT&T retain the ability to monitor, inject, sell, and otherwise adulterate our data?

2) Will static IPs be available? (Looks like they are for AT&T fiber installs, but generally not for Sonic fiber installs -- where does this fall?)

3) Is the phone line also a resold AT&T product, and thus VoIP? Or is it a traditional POTS line?

Any insight appreciated!!
by SnowBound » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 pm
What about doing this same thing with WAVE Broadband. They strung the poles in our area (Downtown Martinez) with fiber.
by Sonic guest » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 am
nuclianba wrote:
larns576 wrote:I think $8 is a fair price to pay to know that my isp isnt selling my internet data to advertisers.
I mean, fundamentally I agree and I am signing up...but I think this argument fundamentally misses my point.
From a financial perspective, what do you think is the incentive for Sonic offering these packages from AT&T? They probably make some profit through a bulk discount from AT&T that most likely includes the modem rental, and they would get a bigger share of profits from telephone service since it's Sonic's own product.

Just enacting "people first" policies without any forethought of a sustainable business model will run a business into the ground quickly. I am happy Sonic's corporate policies are currently aligned with consumers but god help their subscribers the day Dane no longer runs the company.
by bubba198 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:33 am
I'll dare to tag onto zamfi's question in case someone from the "magic" team pings us back on this forbidden topic :) if the resale biz is ready then Sonic and AT&T must've worked out some L2 connectivity biz and here's my question: could this brotherhood relationship then open up an L3 peering with AT&T at some not so distant point in the future?
by paulcoldren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am
Two questions:

1. Does this use the same customer premise equipment with the same firmware as regular AT&T fiber (Arris NVG595)? Meaning -- does it suffer the same debilitatingly small NAT table limit and lack of true bridge mode as regular AT&T fiber? This is the subject of much discussion and disappointment across the Internet, and it hasn't been solved except with complex packet filtering and forwarding workarounds using additional hardware (http://blog.0xpebbles.org/Bypassing-At- ... ble-limits).

2. Is this available for small business customers, and what are the negotiated price/performance tiers? We have AT&T 25/25 fiber at our small business in downtown Berkeley. Using the Sonic prequal tool, if I choose "residential", I see the new resold AT&T fiber offerings, as expected. But if I choose "business", I only see the DSL option.
by kgc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 am
Paul, small business services should be available soon.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by smallfry » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am
paulcoldren wrote:
1. Does this use the same customer premise equipment with the same firmware as regular AT&T fiber (Arris NVG595)? Meaning -- does it suffer the same debilitatingly small NAT table limit and lack of true bridge mode as regular AT&T fiber? This is the subject of much discussion and disappointment across the Internet, and it hasn't been solved except with complex packet filtering and forwarding workarounds using additional hardware (http://blog.0xpebbles.org/Bypassing-At- ... ble-limits).
I second this question....does the sonic service use a different modem or firmware that allows true bridge mode, or at least vastly increases the NAT table size?
by sonic customer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 pm
I noticed on the website that 50Mbps is only $50 (same as what my bill is now). Will it be ATT FTTN? Will I lose my landline POTS? Is the speed guaranteed? Thank you
by Jays » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:10 pm
probably a long shot, but if ATT fiber is underground on my street, is there any way to get access/lease via Sonic? I live very, very close to the CO it's all connected to
by Sonic guest » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 am
paulcoldren wrote:1. Does this use the same customer premise equipment with the same firmware as regular AT&T fiber (Arris NVG595)? Meaning -- does it suffer the same debilitatingly small NAT table limit and lack of true bridge mode as regular AT&T fiber?
I'm not familiar with the NVG595 but my 5031nv started with a 1K NAT table when I first subscribed to FTTN but now it has over 8K. But since I've configured my firewall as a DMZ device, the limit doesn't affect my network.

To top it off, Pace has actually been improving the firmware so it's actually a lot more stable than several years ago. Before at around 15-20 days, I couldn't even login to the webUI and it would reboot around every 25 days due to a secondary memory leak. The first leak was corrected shortly after I subscribed. My modem's webUI is now responsive and has been up for a little over 70 days. The line has been quite clean with only 76K corrected blocks, no link retrains/errors/loss of signal/frame.
105 posts Page 6 of 11