gateway monitoring IP

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by chrisjx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm
I have gig service now and I have a dynamic ip assigned (by sonic) and reflected in my pfsense firewall.

In the system/routes/gateways section the default monitoring IP address, which matches the dynamic IP currently assigned, always indicates an offline (failed response).

For other configurations I can use dns records like 8.8.8.8 but even these do not work.

Is there anything different from the way I can set up dynamic DNS than it was for comcast...

Thanks for any tips,
Chris.
by chrisjx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 pm
This is, a year later, still a problem. I need some feedback from someone at sonic, or someone who knows pfsense gateways.

Currently I have a gateway value from sonic, 157.131.106.1. I assume somewhere down the road, it might change.

For a time, I've been using 209.244.0.4 as the monitoring IP but now it is showing the gateway as offline. It seems every time I select a new IP for monitoring, it works for some time and then gets blocked for some reason.

I can ping 209.244.0.4 with typical time=6.19 ms.

Any help appreciated,
Chris.
by js9erfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:46 pm
Try using a data payload of 1 instead of the default 0 (Edit Gateway > Advanced). If you can ping the gateway IP then you shouldn't need to use a different monitor IP.
by chrisjx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 pm
js9erfan wrote:Try using a data payload of 1 instead of the default 0 (Edit Gateway > Advanced). If you can ping the gateway IP then you shouldn't need to use a different monitor IP.
I removed the alternate monitor address and changed the Data Payload from 0 to 1. So far, the Sonic gateway is indicating it is "Online".

Thank you,
Chris.
4 posts Page 1 of 1