Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 50 of 64
by ChrisW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Hi Dane, Any estimates yet on when we’ll see FDA’s in south/west Berkeley (the ones that were caught up in the permitting logjam) start to go live?
by lefish » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 am
FWIW, I saw splicing work happening this morning on Grant and at the LCP near Grant/Addison (or was it Allston?).
by coyote2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:47 am
I want to go over there and hug them!
That's pretty close to my house; I thought I would see a public comment period noticed before this happy day came.
by lefish » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 am
Heh...hope you get lit up soon.

I offered them a 6-pack if they would stop their work and switch to the LCP at Bancroft and California. I can't believe they didn't take me up on it. ;)

Interestingly, one of the things they said that slows them down is parking. If they can't get a spot right at the LCP or pole they're working on, they have to wait til one opens up. Evidently going through the City to get a permit for a reserved spot isn't very effective or efficient since it requires lead time and enforcement is lax. I said they should let folks on these boards know the day before -- I'd be glad to go park there and save a spot for them.
by stuartstlocal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am
That's agonizing to hear! All of this work sounds like it's further into west Berkeley and I'm all the way over in south Berkeley. Especially disappointing since one block over on the 1900 block of Russell, apparently AT&T gigabit fiber is already deployed.
by coyote2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:51 am
I feel you, Stuart, but Sonic's rollout has been generally North-to-South, and WRT that they skipped over us here. I can see how that encouraged you, but they're just backing up to get to us...then surely they'll forge ahead southward.
by ihaveajob » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:00 pm
Well, I hate to beat a dead horse, but when we signed the app about a year ago we were told that we will have service by November last year (2018). That's about 8 months ago. So far all we have heard is excuses and diversion of responsibility but nothing specific. I am looking forward to having fast Internet service, but if this is the type of customer service we can expect, I'm not sure this is a step up from Comcast...
by coyote2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 pm
ihaveajob wrote:Well, I hate to beat a dead horse, but when we signed the app about a year ago we were told that we will have service by November last year (2018). That's about 8 months ago. So far all we have heard is excuses and diversion of responsibility but nothing specific. I am looking forward to having fast Internet service, but if this is the type of customer service we can expect, I'm not sure this is a step up from Comcast...
They realized that things that they predicted turned out to be unpredictable. I signed up 1.5 years ago for service projected Oct. 2018...but I'm not upset, I believe they are doing the best that can be done.

I think Sonic are the good guys, and I know for certain Comcast is thoroughly evil.
by igorru » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm
No, there was plenty of information about the reason for the delay. It's called Slow Berkeley Permitting Service. Take it up with them if you want.
Sonic has been upfront about the reason for the delay the whole time and there was no way for them to provide estimates while they were waiting for the permit. Ever since the permit was finally issued they have been deploying fiber at a very fast pace.
by Mike-in-berkeley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 pm
To be fair, Berkeley is notorious for it's glacially slow and darkly comical (only funny if you aren't affected by it) permit process. Sonic appears to be doing the best they can against the opaque, byzantine process that is the City of Berkeley.
640 posts Page 50 of 64