Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 26 of 64
by carletonwantsfiber » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 am
Given that FDA 25B and 27B won't go live for at least another two months, and that our FDA is presumably FDA 30 based on the work notice on the pole, it seems we'll have to wait months yet before service makes it to our area.

Since we moved to Berkeley in January of last year, we've held out on any internet other than our mobile tethering since we learned of Sonic's planned fiber build out at a farmer's market tent (and our area was due to have fiber in Nov. 2018). Yet we're finally at the point where we need a better connection than what we've managed with VZW 4G. Sonic appears to offer other internet services, but when we put in our address we can still only pre-order fiber. What other options are there for 94703 until the build-out is finished - either with or without Sonic? It would ideally be something we can ditch once our fiber finally goes live.
by henrik » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:42 pm
What's the FDA and ETA for Panoramic Hill? (e.g. Panoramic Way, Mosswood Rd, Arden Rd, Dwight Way (upper), Dwight Pl, Panoramic Pl).

Excerpt of email updates from Sonic:

2019-04-06: "... As of this month, over 21% of the network in your area is live!"

2019-03-05: "We've officially begun lighting up your neighborhood! 6% of your area is currently active ..."

2019-02-04: "... We're expecting to light up some of the network in your area starting this month! ..."

2019-01-04: "... Over 96% of the network in your area is Activated and just under 4% remains in Construction. ..."

2018-12-04: "... We're continuing to make progress building out our Gigabit Fiber network in your neighborhood! ..."

2018-11-02: "... But, we've encountered construction delays in delivering you the fast, dependable service you deserve. ... The Sonic Team will begin hanging fiber lines aerially ... his critical final phase of construction won't commence until after the holiday season. ..."

2018-10-21: "YOU'RE CLOSE TO BE CONNECTED! Our engineering team is working to complete your area's Gigabit Fiber network construction this month (woohoo!). Once completed, we'll contact you with next steps, which includes scheduling your installation. ..."

2018-09-21: "This is a reminder that we expect to complete our Gigabit Fiber network construction in your area October 2018. ..."

2018-01-23: "THANK YOU FOR PRE-ORDERING ... Our expected connection month for your location is October 2018"

@dane, there's lots of fluff, ambiguity, and yada yada in these Sonic email messages and not much to go by. For instance, what does even "96% of the network in your area" mean - is "your area" == Berkeley, part of Berkeley, my street? I understand it's tricky to provide informative messages with specific details for each customer but please try to provide a bit more useful information in those messages. Also, as I think others mentioned - some of these messages seem to be scheduled way in advance, e.g. an automated message saying "close to be connected" to then be withdrawn a week later by "we've encountered construction delays", which seems unnecessary. It really lowers the overall trust in these Sonic email messages. Thanks.

EDIT 2019-02-07: I hope my critique at the end didn't come out the wrong way; it was meant as constructive feedback on how true and trustworthy information is key to people waiting to get connected.

EDIT 2019-04-06: Add March and April notifications. Still not sure what "your area" means. However, have seen the various Sonic trucks on and off at the bottom of the Panoramic Hill for a few weeks now.
by Zandr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:01 pm
So what's the order of operations for building out an FDA? Does hanging fiber on the poles imply that the LCP is already in place? There's another set of no-parking signs up for next week on my street. :)
by lefish » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am
Zandr,
Don't quote me on this, but I was under the impression from an earlier post that the LCP work and stringing of cables on poles can proceed in parallel. I think Dane said something to the effect that the permitting delays for the LCPs shouldn't affect the projected dates as long as they don't get delayed too much. Obviously it all has to be connected for an area to be lit up, but wither you cable first and then add the switch, or vice-versa, doesn't matter. I don't have any sense about dependencies of other steps in the process.

Curious, on what block do you see those no parking signs?

David
by Blake Street » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am
Hi Dane, just wondering what my zone is and if there is any estimated date for fiber activation - I'm at 2312 Blake Street. We have been customers for years. There is a box only half a block away from me and we have been patiently waiting for around a year now; DSL is increasingly starting to feel like dialup given the amount of data required for basic online usage these days and we want very much to avoid Comcast, ATT et al. Thanks
--JM
by Zandr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 pm
lefish wrote:Zandr,
Curious, on what block do you see those no parking signs?
Ashby west of Telegraph. Not sure how far towards Shattuck this time.

The last time through they just put up a steel cable to lash to, I'm guessing they're back to put up fiber, but they hadn't started when I left for work this morning. I'll report back if there's anything new on the poles tonight. :D
by davidbell » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm
I signed up for fiber in November of 2017 (i.e., back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Was informed it would be in place in October 2018. It is now Feb 2019 with no trucks or lines or boxes in sight. I live on Spaulding Ave in Berkeley. I did notice lots of activity in the Berkeley hills and some on Hearst and California (I know ya gotta go where the bucks flow, or, as George Carlin once said: "There's a rich and powerful club in this country..... and you're not in it") . None on the side of University where I live. Got the same "almost there...." messages couple of months ago. Currently I am with Comcast-- hate it btw. But I like having 290 mbps downloads as it beats 10-20 mbps that come with DSL service. However they are charging 150.00/ mo for internet alone to avoid data caps ( I bought my own modem/ router and don't have TV through Xfinity). It's a huge rip-off; however, I had to agree to update my contract w/ them because without fiber THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES if I want that kind of speed (even in America 290 is greater than 20).

Hoping Sonic will come through especially with their price point and excellent speeds/ service. Seems that's vaporware right now. Maybe will be operational in my neighborhood by June? Maybe...
by Clu42 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm
davidbell wrote:I signed up for fiber in November of 2017 (i.e., back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Was informed it would be in place in October 2018. It is now Feb 2019 with no trucks or lines or boxes in sight. I live on Spaulding Ave in Berkeley. I did notice lots of activity in the Berkeley hills and some on Hearst and California (I know ya gotta go where the bucks flow, or, as George Carlin once said: "There's a rich and powerful club in this country..... and you're not in it") . None on the side of University where I live. Got the same "almost there...." messages couple of months ago. Currently I am with Comcast-- hate it btw. But I like having 290 mbps downloads as it beats 10-20 mbps that come with DSL service. However they are charging 150.00/ mo for internet alone to avoid data caps ( I bought my own modem/ router and don't have TV through Xfinity). It's a huge rip-off; however, I had to agree to update my contract w/ them because without fiber THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES if I want that kind of speed (even in America 290 is greater than 20).

Hoping Sonic will come through especially with their price point and excellent speeds/ service. Seems that's vaporware right now. Maybe will be operational in my neighborhood by June? Maybe...
That sucks that you had to update your contract with Comca$t. But in case you didn't know. Sonic should cover your Early Termination Fee with them, as long as it's not above $200, if I remember. Generally the Early Termination Fee for Comcast is $110, and it drops by $10 for every month that passes. So you should be covered there. I too am waiting patiently for them to light up the 94705 zip code. Hopefully it will be well worth the wait, just like waiting for the Ryzen 3000 processors, or "Wait For Navi" crowd. Although Navi is now rumored to release in Q4.
by Zandr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am
Zandr wrote:I'll report back if there's anything new on the poles tonight. :D
There is fiber on the poles in front of my house with orange "SONIC TELECOM" tags! There are a couple of things that look like oversized tennis rackets on the cable in front of my house, which I'm hoping are holding my drop. :)

As I'm an existing customer, I've emailed sales as well to remind them that I exist. Just want to be sure I'm on the list for the first installs.
by Zandr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 am
Zandr wrote:As I'm an existing customer, I've emailed sales as well to remind them that I exist. Just want to be sure I'm on the list for the first installs.
Sales, of course, does "not have a time frame as to when your neighborhood will go live."
640 posts Page 26 of 64