Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 20 of 64
by richard downtown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 pm
I signed up for Sonic Fiber that was supposed to get installed in October. All I've gotten is detailed emails about their slow progress. I don't need these details. I only need to know when I'm getting the fiber installed. I hope their misrepresentations of what they will do, their delays, and excuses for them, are a reflection of their service when the cable is finally installed.
by coyote2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pm
Good work on the "Sonic Pre-order: December Update" email I just recieved!
by coyote2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:58 pm
richard downtown wrote:I signed up for Sonic Fiber that was supposed to get installed in October. All I've gotten is detailed emails about their slow progress.
Since every other comment I've seen is about a lack of such emails (until the "Sonic Pre-order: December Update" email I just received today, I'm guessing the "emails" are notifications of posts to this forum thread, if so:
I don't need these details.
Unsubscribe from this thread!
I only need to know when I'm getting the fiber installed.
...and they'll let you know that.
I hope their misrepresentations of what they will do, their delays, and excuses for them, are a reflection of their service when the cable is finally installed.
I'm (once again) guessing you mean "are NOT a reflection...".

You are one whiny confusing dude, Richard.
by Hoowzer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm
hmm...I have yet to receive the December update email....got November. Perhaps these go out in waves?
by coyote2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 pm
Hoowzer wrote:hmm...I have yet to receive the December update email....got November. Perhaps these go out in waves?
Oh, interesting, I think this is the first Update email I ever got from Sonic. Maybe they happen when "the Front" approaches a certain distance from one's foxhole.
by jabberkeley » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:38 pm
I live in the Berkeley Hills. Called a few days ago for an update and was told early 2019.
by cmeisel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm
Dane gave some updates on the Berkeley Hills and so did I based on what I got. My area (Terraceview) for example has an ETA of end of February. Sonic said they really do pick very conservative dates now and there is the hope those might come in (no guarantee). The exciting thing is, that the cables are there. If you look up the pole in the Berkeley Hill area where I am (and it seems almost all others), the top cable is the sonic fiber cable. Take our binoculars and you will see the Sonic Telecom on it in orange... So now it is just waiting for all the backend work to happen (that they did as part of this long wait Berkeley permit) and completion of splicing and activations. It seems Dane informs the forum often when new FDA's go live. I am waiting for the magic FDA39 to go live :)
We waited so long, they are really, really close now...

You should all appreciate this level of communication. I actually feel Dane almost communicates too much and now all of us expect the CEO of a company to deal with every little request in this forum. I hope very much that Sonic will continue to reward people who contact support and get worked on in the order received. It is nice to use the forum for self help but the expectation of all should be that the support and customer service teams are the most reliable way to get help for you. This is the only sustainable way. Eventually Dane will be too busy of burned out to deal with a forum. I am not sure how he does it now. I see many good and thoughtful requests but also a lot of un-called for whining and complaining. Communicate too little and Sonic gets slammed (rightfully so I think), communicate too much and people complain (wrongfully). Keep up the amazing work Sonic. The fact that anybody gives a shit about what any of us complain about should tell you all, that Sonic is the right choice. Try to get a hold of anybody at AT&T or Comcast. And no, I don't work for sonic :)

Thanks Dane for all your efforts in this forum. You and your team really go the extra mile and all this for a service that is still underpriced :)
by joeyyung911 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm
I actually feel Dane almost communicates too much and now all of us expect the CEO of a company to deal with every little request in this forum.
Exactly!! One word that comes to my mind every time I visit the forum...entitled. Some of them sound like little punks that can't get what they want and whine. I have better enjoyment visiting the Comcast forum at DSLReports.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by derekk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:18 am
I just got gigabit internet from sonic and I'm very happy.

The only weird thing about it though is that there seems to be unreliability when it comes to Sonic's own DNS servers.

For example, when trying to access http://newwatch.slingbox.com, when using Sonic's own DNS servers, it wouldn't load.

I switched to cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS server (based on a sonic customer service rep advice) and there's no problem loading it.

Is this something that will eventually be fixed?
I'm just a bit concerned about DNS issues not properly resolving domains.
by coyote2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 am
derekk wrote:I just got gigabit internet from sonic and I'm very happy.
Congrats derekk!!
The only weird thing about it though is that there seems to be unreliability when it comes to Sonic's own DNS servers.

For example, when trying to access http://newwatch.slingbox.com, when using Sonic's own DNS servers, it wouldn't load.

I switched to cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS server (based on a sonic customer service rep advice) and there's no problem loading it.

Is this something that will eventually be fixed?
I'm just a bit concerned about DNS issues not properly resolving domains.
Honestly that's no big deal, I've never found any of my prior ISP's DNS servers to be the fastest.

Using this
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
safe little program you can determine which DNS servers are fastest.

FWIW I'm using (Google's)

https://www.howtogeek.com/342330/how-to ... ns-server/ has helpful info.
640 posts Page 20 of 64