Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 28 of 64
by dane » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm
waveterm wrote:Hello,
I'm at 2652 Shasta Road, and I'm wondering what FDA covers me, and if there is any news on completing the build to me. I'd appreciate an update.

Thank you!
Currently our progress tracking shows that one should activate around 3/22. Sorry for the delay, we've had lots of challenges there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm
stuartstlocal wrote:@Dane

Any way to get a projected date for FDA 32C?
FDA 32C says 3/8/2019, just a couple days from now. Take it with a grain of salt, but we have activated a number of FDAs just to the East of there, so we're getting close!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:01 pm
denisonjohnston wrote:I signed up over a year ago, and have not gotten any recent updates. Could get an idea when I would get service? I am at 2733 California Street in Berkeley.
We've been sending out monthly updates the last few months, have you not received those from us? Let me know if not, we should run that down!

Your FDA was to go live on 3/4/2019, and we're a couple days beyond that, so there's some sort of completion issue that must be holding us up. Sorry I don't have any specifics right now, the people I'd inquire with are not in today.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by manfrin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:28 pm
Preordered gigabit in South Berkeley (Near Oregon and Milvia) about a year and a half ago. Original estimate was November. It's now March and no word other than the fairly vague monthly emails that seem to be overly optimistic (Feb's said that my neighborhood was being lit up that month, March said it was at 6%). March's email felt like it was a generic email to all of Berkeley, because it was suggesting we contact our councilmemebers to help speed things up.

I called in a couple days ago to ask about an update, and they were unable to tell me anything beyond 'finishing up construction'.

LMI left a flyer on my door offering gigabit for less than Sonic, available now.

I'm very frustrated. I feel some obligation towards Sonic because I've wanted gigabit from you (and I've emailed and pleaded) for 7+ years now. I just do not understand how LMI, which resells fiber is able to offer me service before Sonic -- at a more competitive rate.

Why should I keep waiting for Sonic?
by stuartstlocal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm
@manfrin We got the same flyer on our door down on Stuart/MLK. Curious about that as well, so I plan on calling LMI today.

@Dane Great to hear activation may come in the next few days/week!
by spikyfloof » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:36 pm
Hi Dane, given that your are dropping updates here, anything on the corner of Parker / San Pablo? Thanks a lot!
by omegaxzer0 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pm
dane wrote:
davidbell wrote: Currently I am with Comcast-- hate it btw. But I like having 290 mbps downloads as it beats 10-20 mbps that come with DSL service. However they are charging 150.00/ mo for internet alone to avoid data caps ( I bought my own modem/ router and don't have TV through Xfinity). It's a huge rip-off; however, I had to agree to update my contract w/ them because without fiber THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES if I want that kind of speed (even in America 290 is greater than 20).
I'm really curious about why you needed to re-commit to a Comcast contract..? Why not just let it lapse to month-to-month until Sonic completes construction in your area and delivers?
I've been letting my Comcast account go month-to-month since June 2018, but I'm also paying $20 more per month than when I was on a contract. I'm just hoping the projected date of 4/1/2019 for FDA 25B works out so I can pay less for better speed and service.
by speedy_dsl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Hi Dane, we are on 2800 Woolsey Street in the 94705 area and was wondering if you have an ETA of when that FDA will go live.
by dane » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:35 pm
speedy_dsl wrote:Hi Dane, we are on 2800 Woolsey Street in the 94705 area and was wondering if you have an ETA of when that FDA will go live.
Our internal tracking suggests it'll be around 3/29/2019, but take this with a big grain of salt, because there may be dependencies that we don't control that are not considered in that date.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by speedy_dsl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:55 pm
ah well hope it sooner than since we were told it would be end of February. Good to see a lot of installation trucks around the area though
640 posts Page 28 of 64