Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 42 of 64
by traviscb1998 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am
Hey Dane - any News on the 110 block of Sutter (West side). Looks like everyone around me has fiber, but I don't on my block.
by stuartstlocal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am
manfrin wrote:Dwight is far enough away from me that I'm not likely in that zone, but I don't know because I've been told nothing.

No communication for a year, then in Jan an apology saying 'sorry, we're going to do better about communicating', and then months of useless 'we're working on it!' emails that have told me exactly nothing. The excuse for missing the original turn-on date was that it was the holidays, and so they couldn't do any construction downtown -- I don't live near downtown.

I called in a few months ago, was told it would be about a month. I called in 2 months ago, was told it would be a month or two. Then I called in a month ago and was told they don't know, that it would probably be 6 months or a year.

I am absolutely tired of this. LMI flyered my door offering gigabit. AT&T has been mailing me about gigabit. Sonic has had me 'preordered' for 1.5 years and has communicated nothing useful. Why was AT&T able to secure permits to build fiber, but Sonic not, when they took my preorder 1.5 years ago?
Wow, lucky you guys. We're literally 1 block over on the 1900 block of Stuart and I guess that's where AT&Ts fiber ends, since I can't get it, but my address on Oregon can.

Here's to hoping that Sonic's construction can pick up for us asap now that the permits are finally approved.

I'm so glad our magnanimous city permitting office made some time for us. /s
by cmeisel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm
AT&T does have data caps on Fiber just not yet on their 1 Gig. You also need to use their crappy modem and you will never come close to a Gig. My neighbors did ATT since they trusted them more than sonic and now, 3 month in, they hired a lawyer, cut the line and got sonic.
You should thank the gods that sonic is even willing to offer this package anywhere for this price. If you can't wait, try a year of ATT fiber. By the time you are out of contract sonic will be there
by monkeynet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 pm
I am so happy to read that the permit issue is resolved! Any idea when Otis Street might be on the roadmap? I've been eagerly awaiting (not very patiently, I'm afraid) the opportunity to call Comcast and tell them to go pound sand.
by dane » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:11 pm
We do finally have the permits for the last sections of the build, but I don’t think we can estimate any specific time frames yet. But they’re moving as quickly as possible now, where previously we were simply stuck waiting for those permits.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jappelman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am
dane wrote:We do finally have the permits for the last sections of the build, but I don’t think we can estimate any specific time frames yet. But they’re moving as quickly as possible now, where previously we were simply stuck waiting for those permits.
Will crews be pulled out of other areas and redirected to Berkeley? I'm wondering if neighborhoods like mine in North Oakland where fiber was recently laid (Fairview St east of Shattuck) will be activated over the coming weeks, or could the Berkeley permit progress mean things get put on hold on our side of the border?

I understand you have lots of eager customers and a finite number of crews, and appreciate how transparent you've been in keeping us all updated on progress and hurdles.
by dane » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm
No, the crews that we had to pull out of Berkeley did the Oakland make ready, strand placement and cable lashing work, and they will now go back to Berkeley. The next stage in Oakland is splicing and activation of the network, these steps are completed by Sonic’s fiber construction and splicing teams.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 pm
Is Sonic prioritizing areas where AT&T fiber is not yet. In other words, seeking the first mover advantage?
by dane » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:13 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:Is Sonic prioritizing areas where AT&T fiber is not yet. In other words, seeking the first mover advantage?
We are building everywhere we have permits in hand.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lefish » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:47 am
Sonic/Dane:
I'm seeing Sonic and Bronco trucks around Berkeley and hear reports of crews working in the areas formerly held up by permit issues! Congrats on getting past that hurdle.

Now that construction has started again and you've had a couple weeks to reset your planning, wondering if you've got any updated projected dates for these areas that you're able to share? Specifically interested in FDA 27B.

Thanks!
David
640 posts Page 42 of 64