Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 34 of 64
by ChrisW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 pm
lefish wrote:
If you have a problem with that, contact your City Councilmember (or all the City Councilmembers). Contact the Mayor. Contact the City Manager.
Let them know that this is a matter of community interest with a constituency behind it.
I did that last week, in fact. Kate Harrison seemed only mildly aware of the issue yet had received some inquiries about it. She passed me along to someone else from the City who inquired with Sonic and got a canned response from Sonic. He is now checking with Public Works and is supposed to get back to me.

I'd love to know who specifically to contact, since I've seem posts here alternately that the City is the holdup and that PG&E is the holdup. Note that Sonic has been a surprisingly neutral about the permit stuff, and I wonder if they don't want to alienate the folks in the City who would be granting the permits for fear of jeopardizing the process. So I want to make sure they know this is coming solely from residents and not at the behest of Sonic.
As far as I recall, the only posts citing PG&E blockage were the one from SonicCustomerOnMcGee, who got the information from his/her City Councilmember's office (that would be Kate Harrison again), and my response to that post. Anyway, I can't imagine PG&E somehow blocking installation of all splitter cabinets in this part of Berkeley. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that it's waiting for a permit from Public Works.

I expect you're right about why Sonic is being vague, and I appreciate their position. As residents, though, there's no reason we shouldn't speak up, making it clear that we're speaking for ourselves. As for who to contact, I'd contact everyone who might be able to influence the process--councilmember(s), mayor, city manager, director of Public Works Department, etc.--and see where that leads.
by dane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Yes, you're both correct in your guesses here: we believe that it would be counter-productive for us to ask our members to get engaged in the process. Sonic is working closely with the City staff as we work to obtain the necessary permits to complete the fiber deployment there, and that process is ongoing. I don't think that having folks hassling City leadership or staff will help with that process at this stage.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by janlugt2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 pm
Since a bunch of people have received more detailed updates on the status of the fiber rollout in their neighborhood, I figured I can ask the same :-)

@dane, any idea what's currently blocking the rollout on the 2700 block of Mathews St? Anyone in the city I can prod in case it is a permitting issue? Thanks in advance for your reply!

edit: in dane's post from 2m before this one, it looks like it will not be appreciated if I reach out to anyone in the city, so please ignore that part of my question.
by ChrisW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 pm
dane wrote:Yes, you're both correct in your guesses here: we believe that it would be counter-productive for us to ask our members to get engaged in the process. Sonic is working closely with the City staff as we work to obtain the necessary permits to complete the fiber deployment there, and that process is ongoing. I don't think that having folks hassling City leadership or staff will help with that process at this stage.
What? No mass protests in front of City Hall? (What do we want? Sonic Fiber! When do we want it? Now! - This is Berkeley, after all.)
Seriously, though, if city policies need to change in order to enable deployment, there's a constituency here that supports those changes. What's more, I'm sure many of us would be willing to share our concerns with our elected leaders if called upon.
Meanwhile, I'll be quiet and let you get on with your work. Hang in there, we're behind you.
by lefish » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Thanks Dane.

I'll second what Chris said and add that for those of us Sonic supporters very eager to get fiber, it's particularly challenging to be in the dark about what's going on. I too will refrain from pursuing City of Berkeley folks any further. But any insight at all that you can provide is helpful. Even knowing if this is something likely to be resolved in the next few weeks vs a likelihood of it being months before we see service helps us manage expectations. When my kids ask me (daily, these days) about it, I would love to have something to tell them. :)
by speedy_dsl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 am
@Dane Just wanted to check in on fiber deployment on 2800 Woolsey Street 94705. I know the "tentative" date was 3/29 but if you have any more information of when you think it will actually be available it would be appreciated.
by dane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:35 am
janlugt2 wrote:Since a bunch of people have received more detailed updates on the status of the fiber rollout in their neighborhood, I figured I can ask the same :-)

@dane, any idea what's currently blocking the rollout on the 2700 block of Mathews St? Anyone in the city I can prod in case it is a permitting issue? Thanks in advance for your reply!

edit: in dane's post from 2m before this one, it looks like it will not be appreciated if I reach out to anyone in the city, so please ignore that part of my question.
All of SouthWest Berkeley is in limbo today, and we simply cannot predict when we'll be able to proceed. Sorry!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by speedy_dsl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm
Just southwest Berkeley? So everything else is still proceeding at the moment?
by dane » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 am
Puma FDA 19 is Live! Puma FDA 19 is a sprawling service area in east Berkeley nestled up against the Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve. It incorporates Avalon Ave west of Oak Knoll Ter, Russell St east of Kelsey St to Claremont Ave, Ashby Ave east of Pine Ave to Claremont Ave, Claremont Crest south of Ashby Ave to Claremont Ave, Elmwood Ct. south of Ashby Ave, Claremont Ave from Claremont Crest northeast to the water storage tank, and Stonewall Rd from Claremont Ave to its terminus.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stuartstlocal » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am
Is FDA32C being held up at this point, or just on a delayed schedule? I recall the GIS data had reported an estimated 3/8, so curious what the deviation from that might be.
640 posts Page 34 of 64