Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 25 of 64
by Zandr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm
henrypumpkin118 wrote:I just passed several Sonic trucks on Ashby this morning on my way to work, just past Whole Foods.
I live on that stretch of Ashby, and they had construction parking permits (aka, no parking on this block) for Tue-Thu, though they appear to have completed the work on Tue/Wed, as the no parking signs were gone last night.

It appears that they've added a steel cable to lash the fiber to, but nothing more than that. Only guessing, but I suspect the rest of the process is less intrusive, and doesn't require blocking off the parking.
by neha » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:29 pm
I had signed up to upgrade to Gigabit fiber in October. Called customer service to see what was up. After they checked, they said my building cannot be upgraded, so we are not going to get fiber.

This is weird because I had to provide my full address when signing up. I received a confirmation and was later contacted to verify my details, and received emails about what to expect next. Then radio silence, and now this.

Anyone had an experience like this?
by JAllenG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 am
What should I be looking for to (possibly) get excited about Sonic getting closer to my block? I'm in the 94703, three blocks away from the High School, and I've been passing by Sonic trucks near Delaware and North Berkeley Bart for months now (a good 15-20 blocks away from me).

Does every block need some sort of Sonic installation, one by one, before it can get to me? I see the trucks working on some sort of junction box on the poll near North Berkeley Bart, and I don't know if that same kind of box needs to be on every block or every few blocks.

My second "complimentary month" just got used with Comcast, and I'm so ready to get away from them (for many, MANY reasons).

Thanks!
by dane » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 am
JAllenG wrote:What should I be looking for to (possibly) get excited about Sonic getting closer to my block? I'm in the 94703, three blocks away from the High School, and I've been passing by Sonic trucks near Delaware and North Berkeley Bart for months now (a good 15-20 blocks away from me).

Does every block need some sort of Sonic installation, one by one, before it can get to me? I see the trucks working on some sort of junction box on the poll near North Berkeley Bart, and I don't know if that same kind of box needs to be on every block or every few blocks.
For each section of roughly 250-500 homes, there is a passive splitter cabinet, where dedicated fibers to individual homes are patched into the passive optical network. As the name implies, these cabinets are passive: there are no electronics or equipment inside. Here's an out-take from the technology overview we posted a few years ago:

LCP -- Local Convergence Point -- a cabinet in the neighborhood which passively splits the connection from the OLT from one fiber to 32. The LCP cabinet generally hosts from 288 to 432 homes, and houses splitter cartridges that turn a single fiber from the OLT into 32 fibers which are then plugged into jacks which connect to homes. See an LCP cabinet here: http://j.mp/1Eryj7P

(You can read the entire tech overview at: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3389)

So, it's not every block, but each fiber distribution area (FDA) has an LCP that needs to be spliced to the cables toward homes, and the cables toward the central office, where the active electronics are located.

And our current issue in Berkeley that has led to uncertainty about activation time-frames is that someone has objected to these cabinets, and they're now being subject to additional permitting and review. I am speculating, but I'd guess that someone thought that these were somehow small cellular or "5G" mobile related, and they didn't want to see wireless equipment or antennas deployed. If my speculation is correct in this, that's not the case - these are just fiber patching locations, without any power, antennas, EMF emission, etc. But now we're going through a process of submitting photo mockups of each location, public comment periods, etc. Hopefully we'll get that all signed off soon!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by omegaxzer0 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm
Hello Dane,

I was wondering if there is any update regarding 1931 Dwight Way (94704)? I have been on the pre-order list since July 2018 if that helps.

Additionally, purely out of curiosity, which FDA would I belong to?

Thanks
by dane » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm
omegaxzer0 wrote:Hello Dane,

I was wondering if there is any update regarding 1931 Dwight Way (94704)? I have been on the pre-order list since July 2018 if that helps.

Additionally, purely out of curiosity, which FDA would I belong to?

Thanks
That's in FDA 25B, and it currently has a projected go-live date of 4/1/2019, a bit under two months from now. But dates may change due to permit issues, we can't really provide firm commits for most locations in Berkeley right now while we await permits for some key components.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lefish » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:29 pm
Hi Dane,

At the risk of getting you into the game of answering this question for everyone who posts here, I'd love to know your projected go-live date or whatever you can tell me for 2422 Jefferson Ave., which -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I think is FDA 27B. Caveats about future predictions understood. Just hoping to get a sense if I'll have to make do with my current Sonic FTTNx2 for another month, 6 months, a year....

Many thanks!
David
by dane » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 pm
lefish wrote:Hi Dane,

At the risk of getting you into the game of answering this question for everyone who posts here, I'd love to know your projected go-live date or whatever you can tell me for 2422 Jefferson Ave., which -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I think is FDA 27B. Caveats about future predictions understood. Just hoping to get a sense if I'll have to make do with my current Sonic FTTNx2 for another month, 6 months, a year....

Many thanks!
David
Yup, that's in FDA 27B, and it's currently got a projected date of 4/5/2019.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stuartstlocal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 pm
Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon, but could you help clarify what FDA 1914 Stuart St is in and the projected date we're getting activated? We got the optical cable notices back in November and have been hoping to get Sonic for nearly a year now.
by Anon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:43 pm
I'm signing up tomorrow! If you've got a projection (all caveats understood) for 1 Canyon Rd., and the intersection with Panormaic Ave, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
640 posts Page 25 of 64