Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 33 of 64
by anmutation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:01 pm
Thanks, ChrisW, for your thoughtful and detailed answer!
by edward128 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm patiently waiting for fiber. My current Sonic downloads are super super super slow. This was my ping test on the Sonic web site today. I have buffering in my dreams. I'm located at McGee & Ward.

Your results are in!
Your download speed is 1.32 Mbps
Your upload speed is 0.26 Mbps
by SonicOnCarleton » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:05 am
Hi @dane (or anyone at Sonic). Could you give me a rough time estimate for the 1300 block of Carleton? The delays are understandable because of permitting, but I'm just curious what to expect since I preordered about a year ago.
by cmeisel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 pm
Being the one who started this thread originally until fiber now (for about seven weeks) I can tell you it is worth the wait. The connection is amazing, the phone works really well and I'm enjoying the free calls to 60 countries, the free VPN works well, the fax line is useful at times for sending and receiving faxes. this post is not meant to make people jealous who don't have it yet but to let you know, and I waited 13 months myself, that is well worth the wait.
by 1600_Derby » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 am
Same question 1600 block Derby St
by ecwashere » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41 am
I'm having a hard time reconciling all the West Berkeley delays that have been mentioned in the last few days, and the Sonic email updates I've been getting. I'm on Grayson and 9th, and the March Update I got said "We've officially begun lighting up your neighborhood! 6% of your area is currently active, and more to begin activating very soon." I guess Sonic has a very loose definition of "very soon"...?
by dane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am
ecwashere wrote:I'm having a hard time reconciling all the West Berkeley delays that have been mentioned in the last few days, and the Sonic email updates I've been getting. I'm on Grayson and 9th, and the March Update I got said "We've officially begun lighting up your neighborhood! 6% of your area is currently active, and more to begin activating very soon." I guess Sonic has a very loose definition of "very soon"...?
I guess so. It's a vague term, and I'm afraid it has to be because the timing at this point is not fully within our control.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lefish » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am
Dane/Sonic,

Is FDA 27B still projected to go live on 4/6? If not, do you by chance have an updated date?

Thanks!
David
by ChrisW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm
lefish wrote:Dane/Sonic,

Is FDA 27B still projected to go live on 4/6? If not, do you by chance have an updated date?

Thanks!
David
Until you see a splitter cabinet on the utility pole at Bancroft and California, FDA 27B isn't going live.

Until Berkeley Public Works approves the permits, splitter cabinets aren't going up and new FDA's aren't going live, there or anywhere else.

If you have a problem with that, contact your City Councilmember (or all the City Councilmembers). Contact the Mayor. Contact the City Manager.
Let them know that this is a matter of community interest with a constituency behind it.

Sonic is doing what Sonic can. The rest is up to us.
by lefish » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:53 pm
Thanks ChrisW
Until you see a splitter cabinet on the utility pole at Bancroft and California, FDA 27B isn't going live.
Sure enough. I walk past there almost daily hoping to see the box there (and FDA 27A one block north). But I was asking Sonic to see if they've updated their timeline based on any new info they may have.
If you have a problem with that, contact your City Councilmember (or all the City Councilmembers). Contact the Mayor. Contact the City Manager.
Let them know that this is a matter of community interest with a constituency behind it.
I did that last week, in fact. Kate Harrison seemed only mildly aware of the issue yet had received some inquiries about it. She passed me along to someone else from the City who inquired with Sonic and got a canned response from Sonic. He is now checking with Public Works and is supposed to get back to me.

I'd love to know who specifically to contact, since I've seem posts here alternately that the City is the holdup and that PG&E is the holdup. Note that Sonic has been a surprisingly neutral about the permit stuff, and I wonder if they don't want to alienate the folks in the City who would be granting the permits for fear of jeopardizing the process. So I want to make sure they know this is coming solely from residents and not at the behest of Sonic.
640 posts Page 33 of 64