Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 19 of 64
by cmeisel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 pm
It is very easy to go month to month with Comcast. Yes, on average $20 more per month but well worth it to avoid a year and get gigabit with no limits :)
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 pm
Hoowzer wrote:... I'll just be locked in contract with Comcast for a year which I'd like to avoid.
Hmmm... at a home we own where Sonic isn't available, we can get Comcast without a contract. It's $10/month more, but we can terminate at any time without any fees.
by DiscoCougar » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:30 pm
I'm in North Berkeley(5 blocks from Downtown), and I pre-ordered fiber with Sonic mooonths ago. I was due to get my service installed in October, but at the beginning of November I was told that it would be delayed until next year. The problems with the break-ins of Sonic trucks and the fires up north pushed my installation back (understandably), but then I was sent a notice saying that Berkeley doesn't allow construction during the holidays as it might burden local businesses... and that's all I was ever told

I look through these forums every now and then and constantly see posts of people in Berkeley getting their service installed all over, and at all times. Am I just lucky that I live close to Downtown Berkeley where Sonic can't tread? And when will Berkeley allow construction to begin again? January? February? March? Since I've had my pre-order in for a long while now, is my place in line just tossed out the window? Are there new customers who are being serviced now that I have to wait for before I can get mine?

I so dislike Comcast that I've called Sonic to ask if I could just sign up for regular internet in the mean time (as bad as that regular internet is in my neighborhood) just so I can get away from them, but was told that I would lose my fiber pre-order and lose my place in line if I did. Is my place in line even a factor anymore?

It really pains me not being a Sonic customer, and this vague delay notice really is causing me a headache atm =(
by dannyk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 am
Hi Dane,
First of all I want to say thank you for bringing gigabit to Berkeley. I've been waiting for an entire year and I finally will be getting it installed within a week's time. It makes me happy to ditch Comcast and break free from their horrible service, data caps, and fees.

So a few questions:
1) I have a scheduled installation appointment next week and I live in an apartment complex. I was just curious in terms of how the logistics are handled between the landlord of the apt and the installation process? Is there an actual need for approval from the landlord?

2) I'm assuming that since the appointment has already been scheduled, and availability in my area was confirmed, there's not much else to do, correct? I'm assuming everything is good to go? I'm just making sure because I've been waiting all year!

Thanks again Dane!
by coyote2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:36 am
I'm on contact-free Comcast Business Internet (to be cap-free); while eagerly awaiting Sonic's Gigabit fibre here in Berkeley.
by Hoowzer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:46 am
Unfortunately I get comcast business via work and they lock me into a 1 year contract :(
by racker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:58 am
Dane, hearing about the FDAs going up around the 4th Street area is exciting but also slightly frustrating for me personally! So close yet so far (8th St btwn. Dwight Way and Channing; south of University)
by m.harmon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am
@Dannyk

Support is likely to have that information for you as they would have access to your account and can see where everything is standing. Otherwise we would need specific information from you such as your username or address
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by Clu42 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:56 pm
I saw a few Sonic vehicles one block away from my house, on Derby St. and close to Dana St. today! Would be a super X-Mas gift, if they were installing fiber. Just one question. I thought trucks weren't allowed to work on putting up fiber during the holidays now? Or is that just around shops and businesses?
by dane » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 pm
Clu42 wrote:I saw a few Sonic vehicles one block away from my house, on Derby St. and close to Dana St. today! Would be a super X-Mas gift, if they were installing fiber. Just one question. I thought trucks weren't allowed to work on putting up fiber during the holidays now? Or is that just around shops and businesses?
The holiday moratorium only affects underground construction in the downtown district, and that work (for the central office entrance) has been completed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
640 posts Page 19 of 64