Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 24 of 64
by dane » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 am
coyote2 wrote:Thank you Dane for being patient with Berkeley. I'm patient with however long it needs to take. But...

If you hit a roadblock and it would help for us to speak up, at the proper time I will be delighted to do so!

(This whole thing makes my giddy with joy since I've lobbied Berkeley politicians for fibre competition repeatedly over the years starting decades ago.)
Certainly if your are one of the locations close to a pole that receives a notification and allows for public comment, you could comment in support on that item! ;)

My guess is that only folks who do not want deployment will be involved, which is of course challenging. But, overall, broadband deployment is recognized at a federal and state level as being a public good, so these are bumps in the road, but deployment can only be slowed or made more expensive by a locality, not entirely stopped.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by henrypumpkin118 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 am
I just passed several Sonic trucks on Ashby this morning on my way to work, just past Whole Foods.
by coyote2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am
dane wrote:...if you are one of the locations close to a pole that receives a notification and allows for public comment, you could comment in support on that item!
I'll be all over it!

I'll celebrate big when I wave goodbye to Comcast; their record of corporate behavior has been disgusting (the opposite of everything I've heard about Sonic). And an ISP oligopoly is un-American and kills progress (our available speeds crawled until Sonic was on the way).
by racker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:54 pm
Where would we be able to comment on these poles near our homes? I'd want to definitely make sure I'm heard as well
by carletonwantsfiber » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 pm
dane wrote: My guess is that only folks who do not want deployment will be involved, which is of course challenging. But, overall, broadband deployment is recognized at a federal and state level as being a public good, so these are bumps in the road, but deployment can only be slowed or made more expensive by a locality, not entirely stopped.
Thanks for the reply, Dane. I definitely called the number on the associated mailer when we received one and left a message of support.
racker wrote:Where would we be able to comment on these poles near our homes? I'd want to definitely make sure I'm heard as well
When the project to install the box on the pole near us was proposed, we received a mailer with description, render, and phone number. But it a copy was (and is still) also posted on the telephone pole itself.
by racker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 pm
I looked hard today and the pole on my street has a "AT&T Fiber" cable on it! But AT&T doesn't offer fiber service to my home (or other addresses along my street). What does this mean for Sonic?? Oh no!
by coyote2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 am
racker wrote:I looked hard today and the pole on my street has a "AT&T Fiber" cable on it! But AT&T doesn't offer fiber service to my home (or other addresses along my street). What does this mean for Sonic?? Oh no!
I don't think there's a fibre cable on my pole yet (even with binoculars I don't see any labelled AT&T *or* Sonic; which is odd, since AT&T keeps telling me they can give me fibre [and I keep telling them I don't like their corporate policies {data caps, net neutrality, privacy} or their fibre prices]), but that reminds me:

Last September an AT&T installer hooked me up with a DirecTV satellite dish, and while doing so he also mentioned that I could get fibre from AT&T, and when I told him all the reasons I wanted it from Sonic he said Sonic was leasing AT&T fibre lines. True?
by larns576 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 am
coyote2 wrote:
racker wrote:Last September an AT&T installer hooked me up with a DirecTV satellite dish, and while doing so he also mentioned that I could get fibre from AT&T, and when I told him all the reasons I wanted it from Sonic he said Sonic was leasing AT&T fibre lines. True?
Sorta true. Sonic has their own fiber and some areas. In other areas where there is only ATT fiber, Sonic resells ATT fiber.

You can check whether ATT has fiber here:
https://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigap ... e-map.html

You can also check whether Sonic has fiber (Sonic's or ATT's):
https://www.sonic.com/availability

Sonic over ATT fiber would typically state "Sonic supported internet delivered over AT&T's fiber network,". It's also $80/mo vs Sonic's $40.
by dane » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 am
coyote2 wrote:
racker wrote:I looked hard today and the pole on my street has a "AT&T Fiber" cable on it! But AT&T doesn't offer fiber service to my home (or other addresses along my street). What does this mean for Sonic?? Oh no!
I don't think there's a fibre cable on my pole yet (even with binoculars I don't see any labelled AT&T *or* Sonic; which is odd, since AT&T keeps telling me they can give me fibre [and I keep telling them I don't like their corporate policies {data caps, net neutrality, privacy} or their fibre prices]), but that reminds me:

Last September an AT&T installer hooked me up with a DirecTV satellite dish, and while doing so he also mentioned that I could get fibre from AT&T, and when I told him all the reasons I wanted it from Sonic he said Sonic was leasing AT&T fibre lines. True?
Sorta, in some locations. But not where we have our own fiber - that's all us.

Sonic has a number of products; I'll set the wayback machine to 1994 and start there, and use "incumbent" to refer to what was Pacific Bell -> SBC California -> AT&T.
  • c. 1994: Dialup access. Incumbent phone lines and voice switch, Sonic modems and internet. Obsolete.
  • c. 1998: DSL access. Incumbent copper and DSLAM, aggregated to Sonic routers, with Sonic internet. Still in use, but no longer sold to new customers.
  • c. 2008: Fusion Broadband+Phone. Incumbent copper wires, but Sonic DSLAM, Sonic internet and phone service. Great product if you're reasonably near the CO. Later, dual-line "X2" variant allows for doubling of internet speed for an extra $20/mo. Initially technology was ADSL2+, later VDSL2 was deployed allowing for up to 100Mbps.
  • c. 2012: Fusion Fiber. 100% Sonic end to end. The ACME of everything. Gigabit symmetric access, zero incumbent facilities.
  • c. 2014: Fusion FTTN. Incumbent copper to a neighborhood cabinet, incumbent DSLAM, incumbent internet. Gap-filling product, but clearly a step backward in many ways for us - but meets needs of those further from CO. X1 and X2 variants available, at up to 20Mbps and 50Mbps respectively.
  • c. 2018: Fusion IP Broadband (FTTN renamed, adds Fiber too). Incumbent fiber to the home or incumbent copper to a fiber node, offers speeds of up to 1Gbps with a new X3 tier, at an extra $20/mo. Again, fills gaps in our own network.
We have chosen to keep the product simple: at a given location, just one of these products is available and will be offered. All of them include unlimited internet usage without data caps, and all include unlimited global phone service. Price points are uniform too, and a simple set of X1, X2 and X3 tiers with $20 steps.

The endgame is simply Fusion Fiber, our own fiber, which is now available at more and more Bay Area homes as we continue to build. This is an unlimited symmetric full gigabit service, at the lowest (X1) price point. We've got many customers today who had a sequence of Sonic products over two decades: Dialup -> DSL -> Fusion -> Fusion FTTN -> Fusion Fiber. That's the dream! (And BTW, that sequence also looks like this: 56kbps -> 6Mbps -> 20Mbps -> 50Mbps -> 1000Mbps.)

And BTW, where an off-net resold wholesale service is offered, the IP Broadband product, the product description will clearly provide this information - and of course at the gigabit speeds you'll see higher, X3 pricing as compared to lower X1 pricing for Sonic's own fiber. In the locations where IP Broadband is offered, you could get that same product from them directly, but with a monthly usage cap and usage based billing, and without the included home phone service. These two features, plus of course Sonic customer service, are the primary reasons to purchase that service from us instead of them.

Oh, and of course, supporting our mission to build fiber and fix the internet in America. That too. ;) So if Sonic Fusion Fiber is not yet available at your location, sign up for the service that we can provide there, as long as it's a good fit for your needs today. Doing so supports the overall mission - scale is critical, and every subscriber counts.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by coyote2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm
larns576 wrote:Sorta true. Sonic has their own fiber and some areas. In other areas where there is only ATT fiber, Sonic resells ATT fiber.

You can check whether ATT has fiber here:
https://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigap ... e-map.html

You can also check whether Sonic has fiber (Sonic's or ATT's):
https://www.sonic.com/availability

Sonic over ATT fiber would typically state "Sonic supported internet delivered over AT&T's fiber network,". It's also $80/mo vs Sonic's $40.
Weird; last time I went to that URL AT&T offered me fibre but now it doesn't
But thankfully the Sonic URL still offers it to me at $40/mo. (and without any mention of "delivered over AT&T's fiber network".
640 posts Page 24 of 64