Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 55 of 64
by ChrisW » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am
igorru wrote:Yes, that's correct. They have been hanging in loops next to cabinets for about 2+ months now. 28B doesn't have any loops left next to it and all the cables are now neatly going into the LCP from the bottom, so it looks to be completed. 28A, 29A, and 29B had some of the loops spliced into the cabinets but still have some left hanging.
So about where we were ~4 weeks ago, in late June/early July.
by igorru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am
Yep, that's about right. That's when I saw the LCPs East of Sac being spliced.
by davidbell » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:42 pm
So for me (Spaulding ave btw Allston and Bancroft) ETOC is probably mid to late Sept. Go live approx late Sept. Connecting cable is good, but it has to then be tested, which can be rigorous for fiber. I am confident that Sonic will go live with solid and reliable connectivity not to mention unrivaled speed for the USA. I am also confident that going with Sonic will be one of the best decisions I will have made regarding high speed internet! When the techs come by, I'll have some fresh coffee for ya.
by mahmood357 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:21 pm
Anyone have the FDA ID region and ETA for the area around University and San Pablo? Been waiting since last year at 9th and Addison St. Very much looking forward to signup!
by igorru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm
mahmood357 wrote:Anyone have the FDA ID region and ETA for the area around University and San Pablo? Been waiting since last year at 9th and Addison St. Very much looking forward to signup!
I think you are in the FDA 51A. The LCP should be at Addison and 8th. The ETA is something that Sonic does not really share. Look for loops of fiber next to the LCP. If there's a bunch of them and none of them are going into the LCP from the bottom it would mean that they have not started splicing it yet. Once you see them working on the cabinet and cleaning up the loops and putting them into the cabinet from the bottom that would mean that it's about 3-4 weeks away from activation.
by lefish » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:16 pm
davidbell wrote:So for me (Spaulding ave btw Allston and Bancroft) ETOC is probably mid to late Sept. Go live approx late Sept. Connecting cable is good, but it has to then be tested, which can be rigorous for fiber. I am confident that Sonic will go live with solid and reliable connectivity not to mention unrivaled speed for the USA. I am also confident that going with Sonic will be one of the best decisions I will have made regarding high speed internet! When the techs come by, I'll have some fresh coffee for ya.
I think you are in the same FDA as me (27B). It went live yesterday and if you're an existing Sonic customer you should be able to upgrade now and schedule an installation. Not sure how it works for new customers.
by ChrisW » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm
lefish wrote:
davidbell wrote:So for me (Spaulding ave btw Allston and Bancroft) ETOC is probably mid to late Sept. Go live approx late Sept. Connecting cable is good, but it has to then be tested, which can be rigorous for fiber. I am confident that Sonic will go live with solid and reliable connectivity not to mention unrivaled speed for the USA. I am also confident that going with Sonic will be one of the best decisions I will have made regarding high speed internet! When the techs come by, I'll have some fresh coffee for ya.
I think you are in the same FDA as me (27B). It went live yesterday and if you're an existing Sonic customer you should be able to upgrade now and schedule an installation. Not sure how it works for new customers.
Pretty sure that block of Spaulding is in 27C, which hasn't gone live yet (unlike all its neighbors, grumble), but probably will, soon.
My guess is FDA activation in early August, with a ~4+ week wait after that for installation.
by lefish » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:42 pm
ChrisW wrote:
lefish wrote:
Pretty sure that block of Spaulding is in 27C, which hasn't gone live yet (unlike all its neighbors, grumble), but probably will, soon.
My guess is FDA activation in early August, with a ~4+ week wait after that for installation.
Ah. I was thinking of this post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8373&p=42942&hilit ... ing#p42942
which was for the 2300 block (27B). The 2200 block is probably 27C.

I would keep checking the Member Tools section for availability if you are a customer. The ability to upgrade to gigabit appeared before any emails from Sonic arrived.
by mahmood357 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm
igorru wrote:I think you are in the FDA 51A. The LCP should be at Addison and 8th. The ETA is something that Sonic does not really share. Look for loops of fiber next to the LCP. If there's a bunch of them and none of them are going into the LCP from the bottom it would mean that they have not started splicing it yet. Once you see them working on the cabinet and cleaning up the loops and putting them into the cabinet from the bottom that would mean that it's about 3-4 weeks away from activation.
Thanks igorru. I tried as much as I could to find a map of FDA regions. Do you have a list or how did you find out the designation? Also, is the LCP on a telephone pole? If so, I think I know which one...
by igorru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 pm
mahmood357 wrote:Thanks igorru. I tried as much as I could to find a map of FDA regions. Do you have a list or how did you find out the designation? Also, is the LCP on a telephone pole? If so, I think I know which one...
Most of that information is part of the Sonic's permit filing with the city of Berkeley. It's available to the public if you know where to look. ;)

Yes, the LCP is up on the pole. It's a pretty sizable beige-colored box, hard to miss. You should be able to trace the fiber cable from next to the box all the way to where it goes by your house. If it's not the one I listed, you should be able to back-trace to the correct one.
640 posts Page 55 of 64