Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 53 of 64
by Racker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm
bmich wrote:Just got the magic email I've been waiting for! Looks like McGee/Spaulding is lighting up!

Thanks to dane and all the other infra nerds watching this thread. :)
Oh man this is torture. I even bought an Eero on prime day hoping I’d get sonic before the return period is up
by coyote2 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 am
I got my magic email two days ago here in FDA 27A on the 1600 block of Addison Street. I immediately went online to schedule the first available appointment 20 days later. Then I phoned tech support to ask how big the cable through the wall would be; he said it wouldn't be as thick as the Comcast coax using the hole now.

Incidentally, as I mentioned in another thread, I plan to use the rented router for a month, then if my own newish high end router provides equal performance return the rented router to save the $10/month.
by ChrisW » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:18 am
bmich wrote:Just got the magic email I've been waiting for! Looks like McGee/Spaulding is lighting up!

Thanks to dane and all the other infra nerds watching this thread. :)
Infra nerds?? I resemble that remark!!

Inspired by bmich’s message, I explored the neighborhood, using the Sonic fiber-availability tool. It seems that FDA 26A (LCP @Addison/Grant) and FDA 27A (LCP @Addison/Spaulding) are both going live. Together, these cover the area from MLK to Sacramento between University and Allston. FDA 26A extends south to Bancroft, so MLK to McGee between Allston and Bancroft is also going live. There’s another FDA going live as well. I don’t know its number or LCP location, but it runs along Dwight from McGee to Shattuck and jogs north at MLK to cover the area between Dwight and BHS,

FDA’s 26B, 27B, and 27C are still only offering pre-order. :(
Our turn will come, though, and I’m excited by the progress and proximity—only a block away!
by cmeisel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am
If I recall this right then it makes sense to keep the router. Dane mentioned once, that the $10 discount only applies if you have the router. So keep for a year and then change maybe. I got the eero base station instead and it works really well.
Also my understanding is that having a rented router or eero also means free replacements and upgraded and free house visits to fix things even if caused by you. I might be wrong with that.
by coyote2 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 am
cmeisel wrote:If I recall this right then it makes sense to keep the router. Dane mentioned once, that the $10 discount only applies if you have the router. So keep for a year and then change maybe. I got the eero base station instead and it works really well.
Also my understanding is that having a rented router or eero also means free replacements and upgraded and free house visits to fix things even if caused by you. I might be wrong with that.
Oh thanks very much, I hadn't heard about a $10 discount. (When I signed up 18 months ago IIRC the deal was 1 month free.)

Maybe I'll keep the router as long as it's free (and maybe has those nice perks), and just connect my new WiFi router to it.
by ChrisW » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 am
Hey, Dane. FDA’s are finally starting to go live in the former Berkeley Zone of Despair. Spread the good news!
by coyote2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:06 am
ChrisW wrote:...the former Berkeley Zone of Despair.
LOL! Now it's the Zone of Joy! As my appointment approaches I feel like dancing around the bucket trucks lining my block!
by lefish » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am
In the zone of despair, but still awaiting my magic email. Hoping it comes soon. Dane has been exceptionally quiet about areas going live lately, and hasn't given any predictions or future projected go-live dates since the Berkeley despair debacle. Hoping to get a sense of what's gone live lately and how soon to expect Central/West Berkeley FDAs going live.

FWIW, I passed at least 4 separate sites of Sonic/Bronco work happening in Berkeley/Emeryville this morning on my 2.5 mile bike to work. Lots happening.
by ChrisW » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 pm
lefish wrote:In the zone of despair, but still awaiting my magic email. Hoping it comes soon. Dane has been exceptionally quiet about areas going live lately, and hasn't given any predictions or future projected go-live dates since the Berkeley despair debacle. Hoping to get a sense of what's gone live lately and how soon to expect Central/West Berkeley FDAs going live.

FWIW, I passed at least 4 separate sites of Sonic/Bronco work happening in Berkeley/Emeryville this morning on my 2.5 mile bike to work. Lots happening.
Right now, I'd say we're in the zone of anticipation. Of the six FDA's that cover all but a corner of the University/MLK/Dwight/Sacramento rectangle, three are going (or have gone) live. Ours don't happen to be among the three, but the way things are progressing, I expect to see them light up soon.
by ChrisW » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 pm
ChrisW wrote: Right now, I'd say we're in the zone of anticipation. Of the six FDA's that cover all but a corner of the University/MLK/Dwight/Sacramento rectangle, three are going (or have gone) live. Ours don't happen to be among the three, but the way things are progressing, I expect to see them light up soon.
And now, FDA 26B is going live. That leaves only 27B and 27C to go.
640 posts Page 53 of 64