Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 39 of 64
by dane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:41 pm
sanger wrote:I don't understand. What does Albany have to do with SW Berkeley? They ran the fiber this morning from our block on Evelyn north across Solano Avenue and presumably will connect to the Albany CO.

The foreman said cabinets are in and the schedule is on track.

Is there some additional issue?

david
Yes, the distribution network there is fine - the cables, and the splitter cabinets. But the feeder cable has to make its way back to the Berkeley CO, just South of UC Berkeley. My recollection is that the Albany CO is at capacity, so it has to be fed via Berkeley instead. And because we're blocked in the region West of Shattuck and South of University, the distribution plant where you are will be isolated until we get the backbone feeder built. And that is stuck waiting on the permit.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by glemieux » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:00 pm
dane wrote:I'm sorry, I don't have any new certainty on this. For the region South of University and West of Shattuck, we do not have permits at this time, but we are working closely with City staff in hopes of having the permits issued. And at this time, we don't think that having people contact the City would be productive, and I do think the City staff understand that this is important and they are well aware it's causing delay.

We'll keep you posted when this is resolved!
Wow, is this for all the neighborhoods bordered between Shattuck, University, Oakland, and the Bay? I was seeing Sonic trucks passing near Poet's Corner (where I live) on Dwight and started getting excited, but maybe I should temper my expectations...
by dane » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am
FDA 22B just went live!

FDA 22B: Hillside Ave from Dwight Way to Prospect St. Hillside Ct. Prospect St from Dwight Way to Bancroft Way. Bancroft Way from Piedmont Ave to Warring St. Warring St from Dwight Way to Bancroft Way. Channing Way from Prospect St to College Ave. Piedmont Ave from Channing Way to Bancroft Way.

Have a great weekend!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by speedy_dsl » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 pm
Out of curiosity do your crews work on the weekends or only during the weekdays?
by dane » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:41 pm
speedy_dsl wrote:Out of curiosity do your crews work on the weekends or only during the weekdays?
Generally construction is weekdays only, but sometimes they’ll include Saturday if necessary. Night work is limited to things like freeway and highway closure work. And repair, of course. That happens 24/7.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by BigWillieStyle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm
I'm assuming 67th St and Sacramento is included in the SW Berkeley hangup. I keep hearing different blocks of Woosley going live and it gets my hopes up because Woosley is the street directly across Sacramento from me. Would you let me know what my FDA is if possible?
by manfrin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 pm
gmg wrote:Can you give me an update on the 1900 block of Oregon street in Berkeley (near Berkeley Bowl), please? I signed up for Sonic in December of 2017, got an estimated connection date of November of 2018, and I'm still waiting with no real updates other than the generic multi-city status emails. People way north of me got connected months ago, and it's great that people a little south of me are getting connected now, but all I've seen in my neighborhood are ATT trucks and ATT fiber. Comcast is worse than ever. It's very depressing.

Help me Sonic. You're my only hope.
Hey -- I'm apparently a neighbor of GMG's and would like to know the status. I called in and the tech said it might be six months? 2 Weeks ago I saw ATT installing fiber to a building a few houses down from me, I don't quite get what's going on.

I feel the update emails have been severely lacking. Month after month of 'we have turned on some of your neighborhood' is not helpful, especially when calling in tells me I may be 6 extra months out, 6 months past the turn on date, 2 years past the preorder.
by waveterm » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:30 pm
dane wrote:
waveterm wrote:Hello,
I'm at 2652 Shasta Road, and I'm wondering what FDA covers me, and if there is any news on completing the build to me. I'd appreciate an update.

Thank you!
Currently our progress tracking shows that one should activate around 3/22. Sorry for the delay, we've had lots of challenges there.
Can you elaborate on the challenges and tell me what the FDA is at my address?

I'm guessing that it has to do with the proposed undergrounding project on my street, the Keith-Tamalpais-Shasta-Rose (KTSR) UUD. I found out about this proposal in February and contacted the project coordinator Nancy Rader, to see if this proposal was responsible for the delay, but have not received a reply from her. I would like to contact her again, and would like to be able to refer to the FDA for my address, and any issues that you are having related to this project proposal. Any information that you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!
by atman912 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 pm
I am between Allston and Bancroft, West of San Pablo and have been a Sonic customer for 8 years eagerly awaiting Fiber. If I am caught up in the permitting issues, why is this only affecting the flats and it looks like the hills and Claremont are getting lit up? We can have long-term RVs in the Neighborhood but not Fiber? I am happy to contact my councilperson and the Mayor to move this along. The automatic monthly updates are not helpful at this point.
by speedy_dsl » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:22 pm
@Dane what streets does FDA 17 cover besides woolsey? Just wondering
640 posts Page 39 of 64