Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 63 of 64
by racker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 pm
Got my Sonic installed, a very good process. Got the Eero Pro + Beacon too. Everything is working great and I'm now discovering the limits of internet servers rather than my internet connection. Hooray!

Strongly recommend Eero too, very reasonable pricing and excellent WiFi performance. Hope Sonic offers the new Eeros as an option soon, too
by mahmood357 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:33 pm
Good stuff, Dane. I was able to move my date up. Really appreciate the responsiveness and customer focus.
by dtwist » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:12 pm
dane wrote:
kyle.depasquale wrote:
dane wrote:The Berkeley / Emeryville and North Oakland project is nearly complete, with two new FDAs activated in the last week, number 46 and 51B. Just one remaining before the project is wrapped up.
Any chance there will be information coming soon about further East Bay expansion?
Nothing to announce yet, but we are expanding all around the Bay Area. =)
I just purchased a home in Emeryville on 54th st. So painful to know you just lit up an area a block away! Our block is surrounded by fiber, but we're still stuck with Comcast (or ATT@5mb/s).

Any chance you have any information for future Emeryville expansion efforts now that a couple months have passed since this reply? If not detailed plans, even a general idea of whether you have an intention of covering all of Emeryville at some point would be great to know.
by dane » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 pm
dtwist wrote: I just purchased a home in Emeryville on 54th st. So painful to know you just lit up an area a block away! Our block is surrounded by fiber, but we're still stuck with Comcast (or ATT@5mb/s).

Any chance you have any information for future Emeryville expansion efforts now that a couple months have passed since this reply? If not detailed plans, even a general idea of whether you have an intention of covering all of Emeryville at some point would be great to know.
Today we've got most of the network active in the area, with the exception of three blocks of 55th St, and a block or so Lowell, plus one block of 63rd St. Those regions all waiting on some odd construction issues related to the PG&E poles. (And I think the 55th and Lowell sites are actually on the Oakland side of the line. 63rd is on the Emeryville side.)

Most of 54th St is active today, all East of San Pablo Ave, but that'd be Oakland. 54th in Emeryville has aerial utilities, but they appear to be isolated, so we may not be able to get these. I'm checking with engineering to see.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by xtian.stratus » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:25 am
Hi- any updates for the north end of Berkeley?
I'm a long time residential customer but I have a business at on Solano Ave between Fresno and The Alameda that is bandwidth starved with ATT DSL.
by dane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:55 am
Berkeley build is largely complete. If you’re in spot without coverage, there is generally an engineering or policy issue that prevents us building there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by igorru » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 pm
Hi, xtrian.stratus,

Solano has all utilities underground where your business is at. At this point, Sonic only deploys their fiber on poles.
xtian.stratus wrote:Hi- any updates for the north end of Berkeley?
I'm a long time residential customer but I have a business at on Solano Ave between Fresno and The Alameda that is bandwidth starved with ATT DSL.
by xtian.stratus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:37 pm
igorru wrote:Hi, xtrian.stratus,

Solano has all utilities underground where your business is at. At this point, Sonic only deploys their fiber on poles.
xtian.stratus wrote:Hi- any updates for the north end of Berkeley?
Ah, OK thanks!
by Hoowzer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:32 am
dane wrote:
Hoowzer wrote: Thanks Dane this is helpful context. A few months ago we had crews out here and they replaced that pole you specifically highlighted on the Google maps link. When I spoke to the PG&E crew they mentioned they were replacing that pole in anticipation for a new condo complex that was opening just across the street. Does this change anything from Sonic's side to move forward?
Yes, that's helpful. We don't generally receive notice of pole reinforcements or replacements for quite some time, so it's good to know. I'll add this info to our team's queue for a future in-fill project when time allows.

Hi Dane - Spoke with customer service at Sonic and they said they could send a crew out to evaluate the pole. PG&E has confirmed the pole at 10th and Grayson was replaced on 7/26/19.

Is there any traction here to get Sonic rolled out?
by chris.w » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:00 am
For the last 3 days, I’ve seen swarms of Sonic vans parked near the NE corner of Allston and California—no bucket trucks, just vans. Does anyone know what this is about? Connecting up University Terrace (faculty housing) en masse, perhaps?
640 posts Page 63 of 64