Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 5 of 64
by dane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm
I’d be happy to give it a look. Where are you located?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:56 pm
I'm @ 1129 Oxford St. The drop the technician was working on was @ 1198 Oxford St. The fiber tap was (approximately) across from 1188 Oxford St.

Thanks - much appreciated.
by seralat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:20 pm
Wondering where we stand on installation dates in Poet's Corner, the area South of University, bounded by San Pablo Ave, Sacramento St., and Dwight Way? Last communication still said installs were due in October, but that seems unlikely now.
by cmeisel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:20 am
Sonic sent a good announcement to pre-orders today.

+++++
At Sonic, our goal is to always bring a consistent level of service to both our current and future customers. As a pre-order customer, we know you've been looking forward to getting signed up for fiber service. And we're still excited to bring it to your home.

But, we've encountered construction delays in delivering you the fast, dependable service you deserve. So, we're working on addressing this and enhancing our pre-order communication process. Moving forward, we're removing and re-evaluating the expected construction completion dates we initially set in your area, and committing to getting you more detailed information regarding your construction progress on a monthly basis (within the first week of each month!). In fact, you can even call our friendly support team directly; and they can give you a quick update: 1-707-757-7368

We understand you've pre-ordered service because you're excited to be part of the Sonic mission, and we haven't done a good job keeping you informed and excited. We're working toward a better solution, and will get you more detailed updates on a monthly basis about the construction progress in your area. In the meantime, the first month free offer you signed up with won't expire and will be applied to your first month of active (and super-fast) service.

Here's an update on our current progress in your area:

We are officially over 60% complete with the build-out in your area! There have been a few bumps along the way in regards to city permits and contractor delays, but we're back on track and more excited than ever to deliver you service in the coming months. During this phase of construction, you'll start seeing more and more Sonic trucks in your area.

Sonic Construction
Thank you for your patience as we implement these changes; fixing the internet in America is no easy task, but your support makes every step (or bump) worth it.
by ds_sonic_asif » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm
We are officially over 60% complete with the build-out in your area! There have been a few bumps along the way in regards to city permits and contractor delays, but we're back on track and more excited than ever to deliver you service in the coming months. During this phase of construction, you'll start seeing more and more Sonic trucks in your area.

Been signed up and waiting, mostly patiently, in the Berkeley hills since last December. I couldn't tell from the email today what the back on track meant, so I called. Unfortunately the friendly support person had no information to add to what was already in the email.

Back to waiting.
by aanon4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:20 am
dane wrote:I’d be happy to give it a look. Where are you located?
aanon4 wrote:I'm @ 1129 Oxford St. The drop the technician was working on was @ 1198 Oxford St. The fiber tap was (approximately) across from 1188 Oxford St.

Curious if there's any more information here - thanks.
by Zandr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am
So, the member tools *still* say September. Any update for Ashby west of Telegraph?
by dane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 am
aanon4 wrote:I'm @ 1129 Oxford St. The drop the technician was working on was @ 1198 Oxford St. The fiber tap was (approximately) across from 1188 Oxford St.

The home at the corner at 1198 Oxford is served as part of the Fiber Distribution Area (FDA) which is to the West, FDA 29A. Your home is part of FDA 30, which isn't yet fully complete and activated. Soon!

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:43 am
dane wrote:

The home at the corner at 1198 Oxford is served as part of the Fiber Distribution Area (FDA) which is to the West, FDA 29A. Your home is part of FDA 30, which isn't yet fully complete and activated. Soon!
Thanks for this ... however ... I am still curious why your engineer in my street said the fiber was active across from my house? I assume he'd know - after all, he was up a pole messing with it. Also, the tap on your fiber clearly comes from the across the road from 1188 which is in FDA30 (and is where your guys with the cherry-picker were working) ... but this zone isn't active?

So ... reading between the lines a little here ... I'm guessing the fiber passing my house is live but because the rest of my zone is incomplete in some way, you aren't selling access to it yet? Well you have people wiring up a cage at the other end of my block today, so I can hope it's the last bit.
by dane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:43 pm
aanon4 wrote: Thanks for this ... however ... I am still curious why your engineer in my street said the fiber was active across from my house? I assume he'd know - after all, he was up a pole messing with it. Also, the tap on your fiber clearly comes from the across the road from 1188 which is in FDA30 (and is where your guys with the cherry-picker were working) ... but this zone isn't active?

So ... reading between the lines a little here ... I'm guessing the fiber passing my house is live but because the rest of my zone is incomplete in some way, you aren't selling access to it yet? Well you have people wiring up a cage at the other end of my block today, so I can hope it's the last bit.
Your street carries a 288 strand backbone cable that goes to the Albany central office, in addition to the 96 fiber distribution cable that serves the homes on the street. The former is in service, while the latter is pending completion of your fiber distribution area - that'd likely be splicing and testing at the local convergence point cabinet. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
640 posts Page 5 of 64