Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 4 of 64
by dane » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm
Yep, you've found the edge of what's been activated. Here's our GIS view of that region and the FDA specifically:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z2yoli5whr08 ... 6.png?dl=0
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bryanhaggerty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Dane, what exactly does that mean for those of us in that region? MLK has always seemed like the dividing line due to underground utilities. What is slowing down this region from being turned on?

Also cool of you to share the exact details, appreciate the transparency with that.
by alxyang24 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:36 am
bryanhaggerty wrote:Dane, what exactly does that mean for those of us in that region? MLK has always seemed like the dividing line due to underground utilities. What is slowing down this region from being turned on?

Also cool of you to share the exact details, appreciate the transparency with that.
I think we are getting our feed from the Berkeley CO ( that is awaiting permit) as opposed to the Albany CO ,our feed is probably coming under MLK on vine. That's my theory now since we are November as opposed to October.

But yes I agree it's very cool to get transparency, kinda cool to see what area presumably each LCP covers. Yeah Att can get theirs up faster, but they are a huge company with much more resources than Sonic. Gotta support the Local company, especially because of net neutrality.
by dchip1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm
Hello,

I'm on Ellsworth St. in Berkeley, in between Bancroft and Durant, and I pre-ordered in July and was told Service would be available in September. I really don't want to go with Comcast so I haven't had internet since I moved into my apartment August 1st. Its now October and the only update I've received is an email 6 days ago saying service would be soon. However, the availability tool keeps saying "September 2018" so I'm unsure when I can look forward to service.

Is there any update for my location?
by Clu42 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 am
I'm on Dana St. Near Derby. My service was supposed to happen in September too, but hasn't. Been using Comca$t, and hit my data cap for the first time last month. So I have one more courtesy month on that one, before they start doing the overage charges. I'm not impatient though, and still will be subscribing to Sonic. Unlike Comca$t who lobbied heavily to kill Net Neutrality, Sonic has always been for Net Neutrality. Thankfully I heard news that California made laws to reinstate strong Net Neutrality policies. Even though, it may no longer be a selling point for Sonic, they still have no data caps, and overage charges like Comca$t, and they also have way faster upload speeds. My only question for Sonic right now, is can you pay via snail mail and check? Or does it have to be via credit card?
by dane » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 am
Thanks for the patience and understanding. We’re working as fast as possible to get the networks built and to connect everyone to Gigabit fiber.

Sonic only takes Visa or MasterCard, debit or credit at this time. We are working on bank debit (ACH), as an option in the future.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm
I noticed Sonic doing a home cable drop on Walnut just north of Eunice today, which is a block from where I live ... but according to that map @dane posted, I'm on the other side of some magical boundary so nothing for me yet. Still, the first Sonic drops I've noticed on this side of Henry/Shattuck - it seems encouraging.
by rdevries99 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm
Any ETA on Eucalyptus Road near Hillcrest, Oakland?
by aanon4 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Today Sonic are doing a drop literally 5 doors down from me. Same street. Same area (according to the maps @dane posted). I spoke to the technician and he walked back up to my house, checked out the utility pole, and confirmed that service is live and I can order it.

However ...

Sue from Sonic Sales disagree. Nice though they are, they have no record of service being available on my street nor seem to know anything about the service currently being installed at my neighbors. Sue said she'd call back - and I'm sure she will once she has more information for me.

In the meantime this leaves me with a couple of questions - first, how can service be live and someone getting it installed if Sales don't know that - and second, how come we loyal customers are still being told "another couple of months".
by aanon4 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:36 pm
So Sales swear blind to me that there's no service in my area yet. I probably annoyed them a bit by insisting their tech on the ground said otherwise - sorry Sue.

The house with the drop is on the corner and I suppose it could be getting service from a fiber on the cross street. However, that's not what the tech told me, nor is it physically the case (you can see the fiber tap further up the street towards my house and not on the cross street). So there's lit fiber passing my house now; it's in use, but I'm not allowed to give Sonic money to use it yet :-(
640 posts Page 4 of 64