Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 18 of 64
by dane » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm
Awesome. We've certainly suffered some delays, but it's great to see the outcome. Thank you for sharing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm
Is this 2/1 pack for home or business ? How much more is the 2/1 vs. 1/1?
by aanon4 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:17 pm
cmeisel wrote:Is this 2/1 pack for home or business ? How much more is the 2/1 vs. 1/1?
It's a small/home business packages and cost $100/month.
by dane » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:23 pm
cmeisel wrote:Is this 2/1 pack for home or business ? How much more is the 2/1 vs. 1/1?
It's a small business / home office service. It can be ordered by inputting an address on the website and selecting "Business" instead of the automatic "Home" selection of address type. See the "I need service for a [Home] [Business]" boxes; when you input an address, we detect the premise type and automatically populate this. If you're a home user who wants the business service, you'd need to select the business box before proceeding then select the small business type to see this service offering.

The service delivered 2x1Gbps links: two seperate 1Gbps connections, with a total capacity of 2Gbps downstream and 1Gbps upstream. It's bundled with two voice lines, which aligns with the small business / home business use case. Pricing is twice the price of the 1Gbps and one phone line service:

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Hoowzer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:04 pm
So I just moved into a new construction in Berkeley and it seems as if my address is currently waiting on some work to be done at the nearest telephone pole before we can get Sonic.

With that said, our developer has confirmed they've hired a 3rd party contractor to install more drops at that pole which will allow us to get access to comcast. So, my question is if these drops work for comcast, will they also allow me to get Sonic or are the drops fundamentally different between comcast vs. fiber?
by sniper1rfa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:23 pm
Well, we got our service installed last week, thanksgiving morning. Took some work the LAN side, but...

https://i.imgur.com/juziXl3.png

Note: even the browser can make a difference - running in firefox yielded 450up/600down. Chrome 890up/900 down. That said, this result was while another user was watching netflix.
by dane » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 am
More actvations in the Berkeley area this week. FDA 10A, 10B, 11A and 37 are now live!

FDA 10A: Page St Jones St from San Pablo Ave to 5th St. 10th St, 9th St, 8th St, 7th St, and 6th St from Page St to Cedar St.

FDA 10B: 6th St and 8th St from Jackson St to Page St. 10th St from 1100 10th St to Page St. 9th St and 7th St from Harrison St to Page St. Harrison St, Gilman St, and Camelia St from San Pablo Ave to 6th St.

FDA 11A: 2nd St from 1122 2nd St to Page St. 4th St from 1205/1200 4th St to Cedar St. 5th St from 1101 5th St to Cedar St. Camelia St, Page St, and Gilman St from 2nd St to 5th St.

FDA 37: Fairlawn Dr from Columbia Cir to Queens Rd. Queens Rd from Fairlawn Dr to Shasta Rd. Shasta Rd from Miller Ave to Campus Dr. Campus Dr from Shasta Rd to Glendale Ave. Northgate Ave from Cragmont Blvd to 89.90 Northgate Ave. Cragmont Blvd from Shasta Rd to 1133 Cragmont Blvd. Keeler Ave from Northgate Ave to Sterling Ave. Sterling Ave from Keeler Ave to 1104/1109 Sterling Ave.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:33 am
Hoowzer wrote:So I just moved into a new construction in Berkeley and it seems as if my address is currently waiting on some work to be done at the nearest telephone pole before we can get Sonic.

With that said, our developer has confirmed they've hired a 3rd party contractor to install more drops at that pole which will allow us to get access to comcast. So, my question is if these drops work for comcast, will they also allow me to get Sonic or are the drops fundamentally different between comcast vs. fiber?
Typically a developer will put in just conduits: one for "telco" (AT&T) and one for "cable" (Comcast). They're not really designated as such, and at least once they are on private property they are yours to control - but if for example they go across the street, they'll be granted to each of those carriers and you'll lose the ability to decide what goes in them.

The solution is to make sure that three or four conduits are placed for communications - this allows for more than the traditional two utilities (telephone and cable TV) and means you'd be well positioned to get fiber.

I say "well positioned" because I don't know the specifics of your situation: we'd also need to be present with fiber infrastructure on the pole that your developer is bringing the conduit to, of course.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Hoowzer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 pm
dane wrote:
Hoowzer wrote:So I just moved into a new construction in Berkeley and it seems as if my address is currently waiting on some work to be done at the nearest telephone pole before we can get Sonic.

Typically a developer will put in just conduits: one for "telco" (AT&T) and one for "cable" (Comcast). They're not really designated as such, and at least once they are on private property they are yours to control - but if for example they go across the street, they'll be granted to each of those carriers and you'll lose the ability to decide what goes in them.

The solution is to make sure that three or four conduits are placed for communications - this allows for more than the traditional two utilities (telephone and cable TV) and means you'd be well positioned to get fiber.

I say "well positioned" because I don't know the specifics of your situation: we'd also need to be present with fiber infrastructure on the pole that your developer is bringing the conduit to, of course.

Thanks Dane. Once the contractor installs the drops how quickly can someone from Sonic come out to evaluate to see if this would work for fiber? Unfortunately timing is a huge concern for me as I'll be moving fairly shortly so I don't have the ability to wait weeks or months. Understandable if this can't be a quick turnaround, I'll just be locked in contract with Comcast for a year which I'd like to avoid.
by Bears » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm
dane wrote: The issue I've got with estimating any availability date for central and Western Berkeley is that we are now going through a review process with the City related to the passive optical splitter cabinets
Dear Dane,

Does the zone affected by this "Optical Cabinet" issue include Shattuck & Dwight?

Thanks.
640 posts Page 18 of 64