Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 9 of 64
by gocam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm
Very happy Sonic customer, have been with you for many years and recommended several others - amazing service all that time, I'm currently on a bit of a spendy x2 service, but have stuck with sonic due to their service and how active they are in the community - amazing Dane is so active here, and greatly appreciated.

I'll wait regardless, but curious if you can tell me the status of where things are on the 94704 zip code around the corner of Hillegass and Parker (2601 of either)

Thanks so much ! And keep up the outstanding work both in service and advocacy - G.
by lefish » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 pm
Hi.

First, Dane and all, I'm a huge Sonic fan and amateur Sonic evangelist. Love what you're doing on the service front as well as your political advocacy. So thanks for that!

I'm an existing customer with 2 x FTTN service in Central Berkeley -- the area between University, Dwight, MLK, and Sacramento. I've been eagerly awaiting fiber for ages and ages. Member Tools says October, but that's clearly passed. I asked customer support for any timing info they could provide but they basically said 'we'll provide info when we have it'.

As an existing customer, I seem to not be getting the kinds of updates others are getting. Maybe that's because I can't pre-order? At any rate, I'd love more information about progress in that neighborhood and any timing you're willing to share. From this discussion I can see just some of the challenges you face, both with construction as well as communication. I know you're doing the best job you can. Any info is appreciated.

I personally am on the 2400 block of Jefferson Ave, between Channing and Dwight, but know other neighbors in the area are champing at the bit for status too.

Thanks!
David
by dane » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:21 pm
gocam wrote:I'll wait regardless, but curious if you can tell me the status of where things are on the 94704 zip code around the corner of Hillegass and Parker (2601 of either)
Making good progress in that region, you should see quite a bit of construction underway. All permits are in place, no barriers on the deployment!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 pm
lefish wrote:I personally am on the 2400 block of Jefferson Ave, between Channing and Dwight, but know other neighbors in the area are champing at the bit for status too.
That's a region where we are working with the City to satisfy them regarding the passive optical splitter cabinets. We're hopeful they'll give us permits to deploy the fiber optic cables while we engage with them on that review, but we'll see how that goes. This portion will come later, as a result.

Overall, we've now got five construction companies queued or already working in Berkeley, as well as Sonic's own teams, so we've pulled out all the stops to complete this project just as quickly as we can! I'm super pleased we got the permit for the critical underground work downtown that'll unlock those in Albany that are stuck waiting for that fiber interconnection, and that this won't be a barrier as we continue to activate in Berkeley.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 pm
FYI, another activation in the region just now: FDA 35 just went live!

FDA 35: Grizzly Peak Blvd from Hilldale Ave to Marin Ave. Hillsdale Ave from Grizzley Peak Blvd to Regal Rd. Poppy Ln from Keeler Ave to Hillsdale Ave. Forest Lane. Poplar St. Rock Lane. Euclid Ave.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm
Dane,
FDA sounds very close to me. I know you can't look up every single pre-order but I would really appreciate it if you could take a peak at my service address (31 avenida) and message me a very rough guess if fda 35 helps me as well :)

thanks

claus
by aanon4 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm
dane wrote:FYI, another activation in the region just now: FDA 35 just went live!

FDA 35: Grizzly Peak Blvd from Hilldale Ave to Marin Ave. Hillsdale Ave from Grizzley Peak Blvd to Regal Rd. Poppy Ln from Keeler Ave to Hillsdale Ave. Forest Lane. Poplar St. Rock Lane. Euclid Ave.
Any news on FDA 30? At this point it feels like it's surrounded on 3 sides by active areas.
by dane » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm
We've just activated another: FDA 33 just went live!

FDA 33: Cragmont Blvd from Marin Ave to 144/1125 Cragmont Blvd. Marin Ave on the SouthEast side from Santa Barbara Rd to Regal Rd. Spruce St from Marin Ave to Santa Barbara Rd.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm
cmeisel wrote:Dane,
FDA sounds very close to me. I know you can't look up every single pre-order but I would really appreciate it if you could take a peak at my service address (31 avenida) and message me a very rough guess if fda 35 helps me as well :)

thanks

claus
Yep, getting closer to you, but no new update beyond the Feb 26th date I'd previously provided. We'll continue to work to draw that in!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fvmany » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:28 pm
When I go to Member Tools and try to upgrade my service, it says "Lucky you, Fiber is coming to your area in September, 2018." (The exact words may be slightly different.)

It's November. I understand things falling behind, but the lack of communication concerns me -- member tools still tell me that I should have had fiber 2 months ago! Every week or two, I get postcards telling me that Sonic fiber is imminent and that I should signup to be the first in the neighborhood to get it, but when I visit member tools, I can't sign up.

I haven't seen any Sonic trucks around (I'm near Shattuck and Ashby). Like many others here, I am happy overall with Sonic, but very frustrated by the poor communication on this. At this point, I already assume that Fiber won't arrive during 2018 and I'd put the odds below 50% that it'll arrive before mid-2019.

I have recommended Sonic to friends and family in the past, but at this point, my recommendation has switched to "The company has great policies, but if you need fast internet, you should wait and see if they'll ever deliver it."
640 posts Page 9 of 64