Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 57 of 64
by Zed » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm
I saw fiber being strung on Ward near Sacramento this morning... oh, so close.
by igorru » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 am
Looks like FDA28B and FDA29B are now live.
by racker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 am
FDA 51C feels forever away.... :(
by ChrisW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am
racker wrote:FDA 51C feels forever away.... :(
But live fiber is heading in your direction—it’s crossed Sacramento and headed toward Poet’s Corner.

Speaking for myself, I’ve been waiting for fiber since Sonic announced the original Brentwood project, way back when.
I’m still waiting for FDA 27C to go live :( but if I’ve waited this long, I can wait a little longer.
by igorru » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am
ChrisW wrote: But live fiber is heading in your direction—it’s crossed Sacramento and headed toward Poet’s Corner.
FDA28B and FDA29B are in the Poets Corner. Just 28A and 29A are left to activate in that area.
by ChrisW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm
It looks like live fiber has made it all the way down to San Pablo. Maybe not so far from 51C, after all...
by lefish » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:24 am
ChrisW wrote: Speaking for myself, I’ve been waiting for fiber since Sonic announced the original Brentwood project, way back when.
I’m still waiting for FDA 27C to go live :( but if I’ve waited this long, I can wait a little longer.
I feel your pain Chris and am rooting for 27-C. (Pro tip: once it does go live and you've scheduled your installation, call Sonic support and see if they have any earlier appointments. They often get cancellations and have spots open that don't show on the online scheduler.)

David
by ChrisW » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 pm
Squirrel chew. Apparently, that's one reason 27C is still dark.
A Sonic crew set up shop this morning on California, N. of Bancroft, splicing cables. I stopped to ask what they were up to, and one of them told me that a squirrel had chewed on the fiber. He said squirrels were their biggest enemies. I have fruit trees in my back yard, so I sympathize.

They should have it finished today and tested probably Monday. After that, things still need to be connected up at the CO, but he guessed it should go live sometime next week or the week after.

The tech I spoke to mentioned how much nicer it was working for Sonic, where customers were always happy to see him, than for his previous employer, an unnamed telecom utility (starting with an A), where customers were annoyed even before he arrived.
by ririta » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am
Saw bronco trucks on 66th St at Mabel this morning. Will you be able to activate 66th St & San Pablo Ave (Oakland)? ATT have fiber there but not activated. Looks like there may be Sonic fiber on poles also?
by sidharth » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 am
I did get Sonic Fiber installed on August 9, 2019 and it went smoothly.

It took about 2 hours I believe. They arrived at about 4 PM and finished at around 6:15 PM. Of course the Fiber itself only took about an hour and a half to get ready. The eero install setup took awhile for me. It is strange that eero doesn't have a https interface but I guess it is dumbed down for non technical people. The eero wifi is definitely a big upgrade from the xDSL router I had which was terrible.

I get about 750-850 Mbps so its an improvement over my 22 Mbps on the xDSL Fusion. My iPhone 6 & Note 4 max out at about 160 Mbps but I'm sure the modem on those devices were never meant to go any higher.

I'm not sure what region I am in but I live near the corner of Dwight Way & MLK.

Thanks to the Sonic technicians Shantrina Lauama & Jacob Landrum.

-Sidharth
640 posts Page 57 of 64