Gigabit Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
640 posts Page 16 of 64
by fvmany » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm
Zandr wrote:Dane-

Thank you for the update! Far easier to be patient with even a little bit of information.

Thanks again,
-Zandr
I concur. It is much better to have an idea -- my house appears to be right on the edge of the zone shown in the image you uploaded (which has since disappeared).

I recommend you let all existing customers know what's going on, not just the ones who post on this forum.
by dane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:41 pm
EDIT: Oops, this is a Southern SF FDA. ;)

FDA 14 is now online too.

FDA 14: Paris St from France St to Geneva Ave. Lisbon St from Russia Ave to Geneva Ave. Madrid St from France Ave to Italy Ave and Geneva Ave to Amazon Ave. Amazon Ave and Italy Ave from Edinburch St to Paris St. France Ave from Lisbon St to Paris St.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:03 pm
dane wrote:FDA 14 is now online too.

FDA 14: Paris St from France St to Geneva Ave. Lisbon St from Russia Ave to Geneva Ave. Madrid St from France Ave to Italy Ave and Geneva Ave to Amazon Ave. Amazon Ave and Italy Ave from Edinburch St to Paris St. France Ave from Lisbon St to Paris St.
San Francisco?
by dane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm
aanon4 wrote:

San Francisco?
Oops. :oops:
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Larns576 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm
Yay! Great to see progress in Excelsior too! I was getting worried that we've been forgotten. Unfortunately, mine is slated for Jan 2019 but it'll be here soon enough!
by alxyang24 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:13 pm
aanon4 wrote:

San Francisco?
And here thought Dane was just checking if we were paying attention, I was trying to find these in Berkeley!
by dane » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:49 pm
Hey everyone,

FDA 11B just went live!

FDA 11B: 4th St and 5th St from Cedar St to Hearst Ave. 2nd St and Eastshore Hwy from Page St to Hearst Ave. Virginia St and Cedar St from 5th St to Eastshore Hwy.

(And yes, this one is not SF!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:34 pm
Just wanted to thank the two engineers (Nate and ... unfortunately I forget the second person's name - sorry) who did my install on Thursday. Yes - Thanksgiving! They arrived at my place at 2pm and had me all up and running by around 5pm. The various Sonic boxes are installed in my basement where Nate's cabling quality far exceeds anything I've done down there. For those interested the final setup look like this:
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg (160.19 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
The external fiber cable (black on the left) goes into the grey box where, after being looped round a bunch of times, is terminated and attached to the short white cable. This leaves the grey box and plugs into the ONT (the white modem looking box). This is the small business ONT box which supports 2G down, 1G up, and two POTS lines.

I'm not *quite* there yet - I'm only running at 1G/1G and my phone number hasn't transferred over; and while Nate would gladly have stayed to sort this configuration out for me, this all seems like stuff I can work though with Sonic's technical support next week over the phone. In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving people.
by coyote » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:17 pm
Nearly all of 2018 I eagerly awaited the "October 2018" date of my Sonic Gigabit Pre-Order. The first I heard otherwise was at the start of November, and on top of that no new ETA has been provided to me.

I'm no less eager, but the lack of info has cooled my confidence in recommending Sonic Gigabit to everyone I can find to.

How can I get even a guess when my dream of Sonic Gigabit might come true?

(FWIW I'm in Berkeley near Addison & California streets.)

Oh, and I've been teased by AT&T Gigabit. Am I right to shudder not just because of their customer service, but also their price and policies WRT net neutrality and data caps?
by mistershow » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:24 pm
I'm in the same neighborhood and feel the same way! Never got a notification that my neighborhood wouldn't hit the October deadline and also don't have any idea when my expected preorder delivery date will be.

I'm still excited for fiber but also have a hard time recommending Sonic right now. Also thought it was funny that the only latest email I got from Sonic was about referring friends!
640 posts Page 16 of 64