DNS to resolve my IP ?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ngufra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm
would it be possible to have a DNS resolving to my home IP?
e.g. <myaccount>.sonic.net resolving to 75.101.50.xx
With Dynamic IP, it's common to use things like dynamicdns.org. with a WHS server, i can use homeserver.com but as the ip can be set to static for free with Sonic (thanks guys!) it would probably not be too difficult to have a dns for that too.

Thanks
-Francois
by augie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 pm
You can set forward DNS on any hosts you control, we won't be setting up any special <myaccount>.sonic.net domains as we need that space for our own internal uses.
by dane » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 pm
Remember, with Fusion you get a free new domain name with Personal Web Hosting, and you can set up DNS on that domain to point a machine name toward your Fusion static IP.

All of this can be done in our Member Tools - no need to call! (Free services are not supported by the call center. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm
Augie:
You need space for your own uses. could it be something like <myaccount>.users.sonic.net ? would be very useful (and free!) and so much easier to remember than 75.101.50.xx and for those without static dns, setting a short TTL ensure it's valid.

Dane:
Personal web hosting is to host files on your servers, what i am trying to do is access my home machine from away (my files on whs, the control panel of the solar array, the security cameras, etc). and the free domain is free only the first year. I have a domain at godaddy (they had a discount at the time i signed up) and i could not find how to set up a subdomain on their interface (home.mydomain.com) to point to my sonic IP. My hosting has Cpanel and i could set a redirection for home.mydomain.com to sonic ip but it's an http redirection not a real dns entry.
by dane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 pm
Maybe move the registration here so that you can set up DNS, and point it toward your free static IP. That would work - but note that we charge $1.95/mo for DNS service for a domain w/o hosting.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 am
dane wrote:...we charge $1.95/mo for DNS service for a domain w/o hosting.
Best. Deal. Ever.
6 posts Page 1 of 1